Dog Food Chat banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5,009 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I believe in the benefits of raw feeding. I really do. I've never felt like it pray model raw fit into my lifestyle for now, so I have fed a raw & kibble combo that has always worked out well for them. I figured if I believe in the diet so much, why not just give it a shot. So when the Innova ran out, I gave the boys chicken quarters (couldn't find backs anywhere. Anywhere at all) I gave Champ (80lb Shepherd X) about 3/4 lb (14lb Corgi Puppy -should be about 25lb as adult) roughly a quarter of a pound for each meal, twice a day totaling Champ 1.5 lbs/day and Griss .5 lb/day. Am I doing this right? I feel like Grissom is eating nothing.
They did alright. Champ wanted nothing to do with the chicken at first so after about ten minutes of him turning his nose up at it I just put it back in the fridge. (I ALWAYS feed Champ before the puppy, he was a member of the family first) Then I gave Grissom his, and he was more than happy to dig in. (He did vomit a little bit about an hour later but not enough to raise any concerns) Champ, being the brat that he is showed interest after his brother did, so I gave his back and he did eat it. After that first meal, they both eat fine on the first shot, though Champ doesn't seem very excited about the chicken.
My only complaint thus far is that Champ makes a total mess of himself. He plays with his food... a lot. I give RMB's once a week, and I have to bathe his front legs every time because he ends up looking like a mass murderer. Well now that I'm doing the raw meat twice a day, he gets it all over his paws and legs trying to hold the chicken quarter and tear it apart. I'm not going to clean him up after every meal. It's only day four and I'm sick of it. Before, I was feeding a raw and kibble combo that invoved ground meat (buffalo, elk, & venison) and cubed (pork, beef) but not whole pieces like this, and he kept himself pretty decent.
Would I be totally short changing him if I cut it up rather than allow him to dismember it himself? What do I do about bones then? I just can't do the mess...

·
Registered
4,655 Posts
First of all, Good for you!:smile: Don't give up yet, be tough and wait it out. It will get better, he'll become a tidier eater with time. He's really just learning all about using his tools (paws), but I say if you really can't stand it after a couple weeks and it doesn't look like it's getting any better,:eek: give him smaller pieces. I feed my dogs on a regular basis chicken wings and drumsticks, no mess at all.............................:biggrin:

Reactions: CorgiPaws

·
Registered
5,009 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Thanks for the reply. He's two and a half years old and just a big baby. He plays with everything. Tonight, I gave him the quarter whole and the threw it into the air like he does with a toy and it hit him in the face and fell to the floor. :rolleyes:
I really want this to work out for him, I really do. He's gotten the RMB's at least once a week for well over a year and has gotten no neater with those.
He's such a goofball. I love him to death, and I only want what's best for him. I wish he would just 'get it'. Food is NOT a toy.
Grissom, on the other hand, holds his down with one paw and neatly nibbles his apart, remaining clean. His is in smaller pieces, though because I have to do some cutting to get his portion right. He hasn't gotten much bone, but stools haven't been terribly loose by any means.
Luckily, neither of them are food gulpers anymore.

·
Registered
474 Posts
Istarted with chicken backs and will progress to quarters. I think the amount is 2-3% of their ideal weight. I split that into two meals a day. My German shepherds all get roughly 2 pounds of chicken a day. (Day iz big dawgs - all of em iz 80+ pounds).

·
Registered
3,550 Posts
Why don't you give Grissom chicken drumsticks or wings? Those don't weigh much and should be about the right amount for a growing corgi pup like himself. That way he can still be getting the right amount of bone and you can be getting the smaller, firmer stools! What are you feeding him right now?

·
Registered
5,009 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Why don't you give Grissom chicken drumsticks or wings? Those don't weigh much and should be about the right amount for a growing corgi pup like himself. That way he can still be getting the right amount of bone and you can be getting the smaller, firmer stools! What are you feeding him right now?
I did buy some, and they worked well. I just didn't want to buy a bunch of stuff all at once until I knew if I'm going to stick with it. I gave him some pork last night that seemed to sit very well, no problems this morning. He's been getting some raw with his kibble diet for about six months, so do you think it's safe to progress a little faster than usual now?
Champ is still making a total mess of himself and it's very frustrting. I have no idea what it's going to be like when he's getting bloodier meats. I'm living with family until I get married in December and the freezer space I am allowed is incredibly limited, I hope I can pull it off between now and then.
ANY suggestions on what I can do about my messy dog? It's very discouraging.
Grissom is doing fantastic. No complaints.

·
Registered
4,655 Posts
Well, like I said if you can't take it; try feeding him the smaller pieces, my 60# dogs get drum sticks and wings all the time and they are very tidy.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts