Dog Food Chat banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5,009 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I have three dogs, and they all eat quality dog foods. (Yes, different ones for each dog. It works for them) I work at a doggy daycare/ boutique, and I can get all the foods we carry in our retail section at cost. This cuts a HUGE expense down for me. Two of my dogs are already on foods I carry, but my spoiled rotton 6 month old Pembroke Welsh Corgi is on Wellness Just for Puppy, which we do not carry and I have to buy elsewhere.
I'm getting maried in six months, adn trying to cut down my expenses where I can. Of course I wouldn't switch my baby to low quality food, but I'd like to put him on something I don't have to pay retail value for- at least for the next six months. (I pay $36 for 44lbs of Canidae.... so you can see how getting my food at wholesale value really helps me out!)

So far I've narrowed it down to Innova Puppy and Merrick Puppy Plate. I need opinions!!!

My other two dogs eat slightly less quality foods, (Canidae & California Natural) because they haven't done well on ANYTHING else, ESPECIALLY grain free. But, Grissom can handle the richer foods quite well so I don't want to put him on either of those if I don't have to.

·
Registered
3,550 Posts
They both look pretty decent but I think the Innova is a little bit better quality.

·
Registered
2,359 Posts
I def. agree with rannmiller. but they are both good quality foods. I right now am feeding my older dogs evo (turkey) and merrick bg buffalo & wellness core and also wellness superfive mix. I wish I had fed them a great food when they were pups but I did not know any better at the time and gave them what the vet endorsed SD sad but true! Now that I have looked into ingredients myself I have found the premium foods to be of much better standards!
As for the better the food its what is best for your dog what agrees with the pup the mest you may have to experiment with this!
The Healthiest Pet Foods in the World – Natural & Organic Pet Food – Natura Pet Products

Merrick Pet Foods : merrickpetcare.com

·
Registered
5,009 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
They both look pretty decent but I think the Innova is a little bit better quality.
Well of COURSE they're both decent! I wouldn't give my babies anything not decent, I've read the analysis and ingredients, I'm just looking for matters of opinions, preferably based on experience.

·
Registered
2,965 Posts
I have used both Innova Puppy and Merrick Puppy plate. Personally, Rocky did much better on the Innova puppy. The Merrick dry had lots of little dry peas and vegies that he would spit out and the Merrick Puppy Plate canned had a HUGE amount of grease in it that gives him terrible diarrhea. I still have a half case of Puppy Plate canned and I will give him a tablespoon a day (just trying to use it up) and put the rest in the fridge. When I get it out to give him another tablespoon you see the huge amount of congealed fat in the can. My son usually insists I throw the can away at that point so he doesn't have to help me wash his bottom! They use a LOT of ingredients and I think it's just too much olive oil and too many ingredients for Rocky. He's 75 pounds and a quarter of a can will go right thru him. But, he eats the canned puppy Innova every day without problem along with the dry Orijen. He eats dry Innova puppy too, if I can't get Orijen. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
333 Posts
I had my pup on Innova till I switched her to EVO at one year. She did great on Innova so I can't help but be an Innova advocate haha.

Reactions: CorgiPaws
1 - 8 of 8 Posts