Dog Food Chat banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
357 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My JRT is doing great with venison, doesn't matter what I give her, she is fine.
Rex my GSD, can eat meat and organs, but if I give him any bones, he has the runs. Why? I have tried him with beef bones, with meat, no problem, it just seems to be venison bones. Why? And what can I do? Just stop feeding him those bones? Man, I have alot of them.

·
Registered
153 Posts
One of two things is likely happening - I would assume that either the marrow in the bone is too much for him, or he is swallowing larger pieces of hard bone that his body has not been able to properly break down causing his digestive system to send them through...in a real hurry and with some assistance.

You can try offering just small amounts of the bone at a time and see if his system acclimates to it, likely it will with time.

·
Registered
4,419 Posts
Normally bones are a constipator. It must be what you are feeding the bones with. Are you feeding leg bones? I can't imagine why bones are giving runs. I just never heard of that. Try feeding less bone/meal and see what happens.

·
Registered
357 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
What happened last time is that I had noticed that he got the runs. Well, one day, I gave a chicken leg quarter for breakfast, with some giblets. That afternoon, I wasn't going to feed him, but Baby wanted a bone, and all I had unthawed were rib bones, with quite a bit of meat on them, (deer)
So, I gave each of them one rib, about 6 inches long.
Man what I mess I woke up to, and he had it almost all day. I fasted him, but did give some pumpkin and the next day with beef he was fine.
So, I was thinking is it really the deer bones? I tried it again, and still just gave a 10 inch deer rib with a load of meat on it. That is all he had that day, (I gave it in the morning.) By afternoon, he again had the runs. Again, I fed him nothing but some pumpkin, ( I forgot to add that 4 days had gone by between feeding the ribs.) and by evening his stools were again getting better.
I haven't given him other bones from the deer yet, as I wanted to use up 3 deer worth of rib bones that are taking up room in my freezer. I haven't started on the legs or other bones from the deer that I have.

·
Registered
4,419 Posts
I don't know. It's a new one on me. I don't feed single ribs of anything. My dogs swallow them whole. Are you sure your dog chewed them some? When I feed ribs, I feed a rack or at least 3 or 4 still connected together by meat.

The first time it could have been overfeeding but it doesn't appear so for the second time. I don't have an answer for you. Is there any problem when you feed just deer meat without bone or do you have any like that? Most of the deer meat I have is boneless.

·
Registered
3,550 Posts
I'd say try the meat without the bone and see what happens. Maybe it's too rich and they just need to be weaned on to it, like start with a smaller amount and work their way up to more.

·
Registered
357 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The bone is not something that I understand. I just don't know.

·
Registered
357 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I forgot to add that there is no problem with just the meat, and organ meat, just with the bones, all the deer bones that I have given him, although, I haven't given that much yet, and yes, he did chew it good, I watched to be sure.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts