Dog Food Chat banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Thanks to this great forum, I've formally decided to switch my crazy Golden over to raw. I've done the math and know what I need to get in order to make it through the first 2 weeks. I've found a good meat market and I'm planning on going up Saturday to get all of the chicken backs/quarters.

I'm trying to not overcomplicate this and just go with it but I'm sure you'll be seeing questions from me in the near future as we embark on this new journey.

I do have a question though - do you guys give your dogs any type of dog cookies/biscuits as goodies? Right now, we give Koda a biscuit with each meal but I'm guessing it's not doing him any favors, except adding empty calories. He just seems so hungry all the time but then again, he is a Golden. He'd eat until he exploded if you gave him the chance :smile:

Thanks,
Jean

·
Registered
4,655 Posts
Reactions: GoldenGirl

·
Registered
33 Posts
Kim just got these treats from a brand called Canyon Creek Ranch, they're Duck and Yam, and Chicken and Banana...there's no fillers outside of the two main ingredients in each treat. They're a chunk of the fruit wrapped in a piece of the meat. All three of the pups LOVE them. Also you can get some treats that are just freeze dried meats, like a bag full of chunks of freeze dried chicken or liver or whatever.

·
Registered
2,309 Posts
Congrats on the switch! No cookies or biscuits here. I give Aspen the Healthy Omega's Chicken and Salmon treats...he loves those!! :biggrin:

ETA: I prefer to go with grain free treats and very little ingredients.

·
Registered
52 Posts
He just seems so hungry all the time but then again, he is a Golden. He'd eat until he exploded if you gave him the chance :smile:
This sparks a question that I have.

Has anyone ever given their dog, say, 4-5# of food when their normal diet is about 1.5#? (Visualize a whole chicken v. two chicken quarters)

If wolfs gorges on food, maybe our dogs can find their limit and then we can pick-up the remaining for the next day.

Opinions?

·
Registered
107 Posts
I am new into this just a few weeks. We cut out all treats for the first couple weeks and a 2 of the dogs did get the hunger pains and the bile puke so we went to giving a treat at bedtime as we had previous to RAW.

I never gave treats after eating meals just at bedtime and during training. Honestly I used the ones I had left. I do use low to NO grain treats though (we call them biscuts too:wink:)

·
Registered
2,004 Posts

Has anyone ever given their dog, say, 4-5# of food when their normal diet is about 1.5#? (Visualize a whole chicken v. two chicken quarters)

If wolfs gorges on food, maybe our dogs can find their limit and then we can pick-up the remaining for the next day.

Opinions?
Every week or two the dogs get a large meal and then fast the next day... :wink:

·
Registered
4,419 Posts

Opinions?
I know raw feeders who feed like that regularly. They only feed their dogs 2 or 3 times a week. They are huge meals and the dogs do great on it. I also know some who feed at random times. Maybe 2 feedings today, none tomorrow, one feeding the next day, skip 2 days and 2 more feedings, etc. No pattern at all. Their dogs do good also. They are trying to mimic nature.

I used to know one lady who would drag a dead hog into her pasture and the dogs would feed off it for a week or more. They would eat when they were hungry and not eat when they weren't. When the hog was gone, she would get another. I'm afraid to do that for fear of attracting coyotes.

·
Registered
1,068 Posts

Opinions?
I do this a lot.
Especially with pork roasts or whole chickens.
In fact I let Flip gnaw on it until he walks away, and then I give the rest to Jack.
If Jack doesn't finish it, then I wrap it up and stick it in the fridge for the next day or later the same day.

I like giving big chunks 'o meat because they really have to sink their teeth into it and work!

Reactions: Sir

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
Oh and Flip fasts himself once or twice a week. :rolleyes:

Jack on the other hand would eat until he exploded, like a goldfish, so I fast him once a week.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts