Dog Food Chat banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
523 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can you help me w/a change in kibble for my two dogs. I have recently changed my dogs diet to Wellness Core and my large breed dog who is 4 yrs old has gained 9# in a very short time w/my small breed dog who is 1 1/2 yrs old is looking good. They love Wellness Core. I'm not sure about changing to Wellness Core reduced fat-I've never used a reduced fat diet for my dogs. Will it be as good for my dogs? I want them to have a good food that is healthy for them. My dogs are not active at all and I need to change over to one for inactive dogs however, all the ones I've researched and seem to like are all for active dogs. The ones I like are Wellness Core, Innova Evo and Blue Buffalo Wilderness. (These are only three there are also others such as Origen, Solid Gold, Ca. Natural, Nature's Variety, Fromm and Merrick.) This list alone is confusing but most of the kibble is high protein and for active dogs. I also need a dog food that is good for sensitive stomachs as my large dog tends towards very soft stool.

I've been following many of these threads and you all are quite knowledgeable about this stuff and perhaps you can recommend something for me. Has anyone ever tried Nature's Select Salmon and Sweet Potatoes kibble? Someone recommended that to me but I'm not sure about it and haven't been able to find any reviews on it.

And, I have a problem of my large dog eating first before my small dog and then when I give to my small dog the large one gobbles it up again. Any suggestions to this too? Thank you. :confused:

·
Registered
61 Posts
This is just my opinion.......but anyone I know who has put their dog on a "lite" or "reduced fat" dry food has had issues (upset tummy, loose stools).

I'd feed less kibble & add a little chicken & rice or a veggie. You can also add non-fat plain yogurt or cottage cheese. That will give a little more food w/o adding a lot of calories. Kibble has a lot of carbs & will therefore pack on the pounds. When your little dog doesn't finish his/her kibble, take it up immediately so the big dog can't eat it. Watch between meal "snacks".

Another thing is to increase exercise. That's always a way to help a dog burn calories. If the dog is idle, start out slowly & work your way up.

I primarily home cook but I do use a little kibble. I rotate between a few: Core, Natures Variety Instinct or Prairie & sometimes I buy Natural Balance Duck & Potato (for dogs w/allergies). I like that NB posts test results for each batch on their website.

I take Hannah out twice a day to a city park.......if it's crowded, then I walk her on leash. If it's empty, I let her off leash & let her run her little fanny off. Sometimes I throw a ball for her to fetch. We're out maybe 40-60 mins a day. My vet told me that Hannah is the only Lab in her practice that isn't overweight!:eek:

HTH

·
Registered
153 Posts
Wellness Core is a pretty high carb grain free food.

I'd honestly be looking at Orijen or Evo and make sure you are feeding appropriate amounts for your dog's metabolism and activity level. Carbs are not our dogs' friends, even more so when there is a problem with being overweight.

I would not add rice - you would only be contributing to the carbohydrate problem and veggies are not necessary to add.

Higher protein will not make your dog gain weight - high carbs will, as will high fat, particularly when coupled with high carbs. Fat is a far better source of energy for dogs.

·
Registered
3,550 Posts
I had my dog on the Wellness Core Reduced Fat before I switched to raw. At one point i tried a bag of the regular Core and she gained weight way too easily on it. Put her back on the reduced fat and she did great. I'd recommend trying the reduced fat one and see how your dog does on it and also increasing the amount of exercise your dog gets. You can also add chicken to boost the protein levels, which is always nice.

As far as the big dog eating the little dog's food is concerned, that's easy: feed them in separate rooms with a closed door between them.

·
Registered
523 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
You're right... the exercise thing is important. We use to walk 2 miles daily until the cold came. I was severely frost bitten as a teenager and don't do well in the cold at all. She does go outside in the yard but that isn't nearly enough exercise for her. I will definitely watch the amount she eats and pick up my other dog's food when she walks away. These are great suggestions!

·
Banned
620 Posts
Can you help me w/a change in kibble for my two dogs. I have recently changed my dogs diet to Wellness Core and my large breed dog who is 4 yrs old has gained 9# in a very short time w/my small breed dog who is 1 1/2 yrs old is looking good. They love Wellness Core. I'm not sure about changing to Wellness Core reduced fat-I've never used a reduced fat diet for my dogs. Will it be as good for my dogs? I want them to have a good food that is healthy for them. My dogs are not active at all and I need to change over to one for inactive dogs however, all the ones I've researched and seem to like are all for active dogs. The ones I like are Wellness Core, Innova Evo and Blue Buffalo Wilderness. (These are only three there are also others such as Origen, Solid Gold, Ca. Natural, Nature's Variety, Fromm and Merrick.) This list alone is confusing but most of the kibble is high protein and for active dogs. I also need a dog food that is good for sensitive stomachs as my large dog tends towards very soft stool.

I've been following many of these threads and you all are quite knowledgeable about this stuff and perhaps you can recommend something for me. Has anyone ever tried Nature's Select Salmon and Sweet Potatoes kibble? Someone recommended that to me but I'm not sure about it and haven't been able to find any reviews on it.

And, I have a problem of my large dog eating first before my small dog and then when I give to my small dog the large one gobbles it up again. Any suggestions to this too? Thank you. :confused:

Hi Chatty,
Of course I am biased, but the only kibble I would consider feeding are Abady kibbles, but they can be hard to find and probably cost more than standard premium. Keep in mind they will probably need to eat less though so there would be a savings that way, you would be buying less often.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts