Dog Food Chat banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
2,309 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Aspen started limping this morning when we were walking. One minute he was doing fine, and we passed this wall were there is this dog, and Aspen kinda stretched himself a little to get a better look, and that's when he started limping. It wasn't bad at first, but as the day went on, it got bad. It doesn't seem to bother him, but it's an obvious limp that can be seen from a mile away. Any suggestions on how long I should rest him?

He is going in for a Cortizone shot tomorrow. I'm thinking of doing x-rays in about a month and a half, when I'm off probation. I just started this job and after 3 months, I'll get 50% off treatments.

·
Registered
1,190 Posts
Oh Dear. Been there. I'm assuming this is his one of his knees?
My Zeus (RIP) went thru 2 TPLO surgeries in 2 years. I would keep him as quiet as you can for at least a week. If he's going in for a shot, the doctor can do the "drawer" test to see if it really is his ACL.
Let's hope he just "tweeked" it and after a few days he will be fine. Crozzing my fingers!!

·
Registered
2,309 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Oh Dear. Been there. I'm assuming this is his one of his knees?
My Zeus (RIP) went thru 2 TPLO surgeries in 2 years. I would keep him as quiet as you can for at least a week. If he's going in for a shot, the doctor can do the "drawer" test to see if it really is his ACL.
Let's hope he just "tweeked" it and after a few days he will be fine. Crozzing my fingers!!
It's actually his right shoulder. It's always given him problems but never been this bad...

And yes, I'm hoping he just "tweeked" it...

·
Registered
4,419 Posts
It wasn't bad at first, but as the day went on, it got bad. It doesn't seem to bother him, but it's an obvious limp that can be seen from a mile away. Any suggestions on how long I should rest him?
I would rest him for a few weeks and see if there is any improvement. Just the cortizone shot should make him show improvement. I hope he's ok.

·
Registered
2,359 Posts
my dog had the "limp" also chocolate lab. She's on tramadol though and I like I am sure you do give her the vitamin E and fish oil along with glucosime and chondrotine with msm. She had x rays also and they found on her gee let me get it right I believe left side a bit of a separation. Its been a while ha she hasn't limped in ages now with this so for her its been good. I hope all goes well for him. She loves her walks so I know how that goes when they just start to limp. she actually would not walk on her on left leg tough! It was painful to see this. But she's been great now for the past year at least if not longer!

·
Registered
192 Posts
Aspen started limping this morning when we were walking. One minute he was doing fine, and we passed this wall were there is this dog, and Aspen kinda stretched himself a little to get a better look, and that's when he started limping. It wasn't bad at first, but as the day went on, it got bad. It doesn't seem to bother him, but it's an obvious limp that can be seen from a mile away. Any suggestions on how long I should rest him?

He is going in for a Cortizone shot tomorrow. I'm thinking of doing x-rays in about a month and a half, when I'm off probation. I just started this job and after 3 months, I'll get 50% off treatments.
That would be so nice to get such a good discount!
I also think 2 weeks is a typical rest period but not sure. My friends dog had to do this and it was so hard for her to be quiet for 2 weeks!
Hope Aspen starts feeling better soon!

·
Registered
2,309 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
I would rest him for a few weeks and see if there is any improvement. Just the cortizone shot should make him show improvement. I hope he's ok.
Yeah, no exercise for him for a few weeks. :frown:

I did take him in for his shot this morning. He got it around 12 noon and he's already limping less!! It saddens me when I look at him just lying there, not being able to run around. He's so active...the poor guy!!

·
Registered
2,309 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Oh, another question. Should I feed him a little less, now that he will not be getting exercise? I don't want him gaining weight.

·
Registered
2,309 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I guess this depends alot on where you live, but with that type of injury, is swimming a possibility?
I would love for Aspen to do swimming, but I don't have a pool and I don't know of places around here that do that. Plus, I bet it's not cheap!!

I will look into it more...thank you.

·
Registered
2,309 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
This Thursday the 29th will be Aspen's second week of no exercise. He isn't limping anymore. Should I wait about another week or two before I start walking him?

·
Registered
1,214 Posts
This Thursday the 29th will be Aspen's second week of no exercise. He isn't limping anymore. Should I wait about another week or two before I start walking him?
I would say yes, just so it doesn't flare up again, giving him time to rest it and completely heal it. But I'm not an expert. XP

Reactions: malluver1005

·
Registered
3,085 Posts
I always err on the side of caution too. Better safe than sorry. However, if he is really wanting to get out of the house (which I'm sure he is) maybe a short easy walk around the block would be okay....:smile:

·
Registered
10,128 Posts
I would say that that he is always going to be prone to this same injury, since this is a recurring thing with him. I would always take it easy with him and exercise. I'm not saying to keep him in a kennel his whole life, but just to make sure that he is not over exercising or straining anything. I wouldn't suggest long runs on hard ground or anything at all.

·
Registered
5,009 Posts
I would just start with shorter walks, in the grass rather than sidewalk if you can. He's probably really itching to get out, poor guy.
I do agree with natalie though, that since this has been a reoccuring issue now, he probably will always be more prone to it, so keep that in mind when planning his routine.

I agree that swimming would be great for him if you can find somewhere to do it. Great way to get his energy out, and move the joints, strengthen them, without all the strain and stress.

·
Registered
2,309 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Thanks everyone!! I know that his right shoulder might give him problems in the future (most likely it will). Yeah, I was thinking of just starting around the block for walks. I'll probably give it a few more days, then I'll take him out. In the meantime, I'll look for places where he can go and swim!! :smile:

·
Registered
2,309 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Well, I took him out just now and we walked up and down the sidewalk. I don't want to go around the block yet (we are taking baby steps). When I wanted to turn around and head back home, he didn't budge and wanted to keep going!! About 2-3 more days and we'll go around the block. Within two months or so, we can resume our 3 mile jogs!!

·
Registered
2,309 Posts
Discussion Starter #19 (Edited)
Update on Aspen...

I woke up this morning and Aspen started limping again!! I have no clue why!! ARGH!! This is so frustrating. I feel so bad for him. It's barely a noticeable limp, but still a limp. I called my friend, who will be a licensed DVM in about 3 months and he gave him 300 mg of Etogesic, to help with the pain and inflammation. I give him 2 pills with his breakfast only.

·
Registered
3,085 Posts
:frown: Poor guy!
I wonder how he hurt it again? I know you have been keeping him calm and being really carful....

How old is he? I know with my rottie when he got to be older he started having arthritis pain in his neck and shoulders. It was always really bad in the morning when he first woke up. He started taking pain meds. on a regular basis and it really helped. He was like a puppy again. But, if I can remember, I don't think Aspen is that old....?? Like 5? :confused:

I hope Aspen is better soon! :smile:

1 - 20 of 26 Posts