Dog Food Chat banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Now Flip broke with diarrhea. Again. Which wouldn't concern me except for that it was black.

I am not sure what to do.

My boss wants me to give him some SMZ, I am thinking I might just fast him tonight.

Lately he's been getting beef ribs (not eating the bone) and turkey gizzards.
I suppose I should put him back on some bone in chicken?

·
Registered
1,214 Posts
Amaya came up with diarrhea last night as well. DX I think that's because I made the mistake of putting a full day's worth of meals into one meal and have been feeding them that twice a day, stupid me. haha. But I've only done that for two or three meals now, so I fasted them last night and am giving her some chicken carcass (back) tonight. Hopefully that does the trick.​

Reactions: spookychick13

·
Registered
4,655 Posts
Has he had any organs, usually my dogs if they haven't had bone heavy meals and had liver or beef heart their poo will come out dark and loose.

But because you work at a vet why don't you just get a snap test for giardia, it's been a real weird weather season out there and that would explain his not wanting to eat a few days ago.

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
No, no giardia (ran it over lunch) and no organs either.
:/

·
Registered
4,655 Posts
Well maybe all the gizzards and beef ribs were just too rich for him right now, probably just do what you are going to do and fast him then chicken bone in meals.

I never skip a day that my dogs don't get a bone in meal. I always give either pork ribs, or chicken bone in morning or night and then a muscle or fish (not bone) meal the next feeding. Good luck

·
Registered
10,128 Posts
I agree with whiteleo, that its probably just because he hasn't gotten much bone at all, if any, in the last few days.

Give him at least 2 full days of bone heavy chicken meals (nothing else) and see how he does.

Our dogs get black stools as well when they don't get enough bone in meals. Never had an issue with it. I know that black stools are indicative of blood along the digestive track but I think that with feeding raw, they can get black stools if they have lots of muscle meat meals in a row. This is not the best thing to do but its also not the end of the world.

How is he acting otherwise?

·
Registered
5,009 Posts
Mine have gotten super dark stools, sometimes loose, if I overdo the organs and don't give enough bone in one day. I also feed bone and organs every day to try and avoid funky stools. I'm just not ready to feed whole meals or organs, and so I feed a "glob" of liver and "chunk" of kidney every day.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts