Dog Food Chat banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hellos everyone.

I'm in Sunny South Florida. Currently have an adopted Turquoise Rex (Cat) female (Pecca/Freckles), young adolecent and a newly adopted female Miniture Pinscher (Grace) about the same in age.

I want to thank this site and the reviews on dogfoodanalysis on helping make a change in their nutrition.

I recieved the min pin with a 10lb bag of Purina Beneful, went shopping for some doggie items and thought I would pick up a bag of Nutro Max (thinking it was good, as it was recommended by other owners as well as a store clerk). But the min pin would only eat the Beneful part of the "mix" to acclimate her to new food and leave the Nutro.

I tried giving her time to eat then removeing the food for the next feeding and trying again to see if would eat it as she became hungry and realized that's what she was gonna get. Reluctantly, she would nibble on it, but not sit and eat it all..

On the other hand she loves to eat up all of the Cat's food.. Had to put the Cat's food up high to avoid that.

I did some research and decided to return the Nutro Max and look at the 4* 5* 6* offerings at PetCo.

I chose to try Natural Balance Premium and was surprised by a $5 off cupon at the register.

Got home, mixed up some Beneful, Nutro Max and Natrual Balance. She scarfed up the Beneful during her feeding time. I then put down the Nutro Max + Natural Blance at her 2nd feeding, she ate the Nutro, nibbled the Natural Blance, but left most of it behind. This is only one day's experience, hopefully she will "acclimate" to her new food.

I was really hoping it would make a difference and that she would like it right off the bat. She tends to ignore it.

Any suggestions, options? Other sites you'd recommend?

Thanks,

-CC

P.S. Any tips to offer as far as housebraking too? I've been told to use a Dog Crate.

P.S.S. OH! Is it normal for a Dog being held not to want to be hand fed, she turns her head and pushes my hand with her paw. If I put it in her mouth she spits it out, even if it's a treat she loves when fed while she's on the ground.

·
Registered
357 Posts
Hee, Hee, dogs are such funny creatures! My Jack Russell will not eat anything in our vehicle. She saves it until she can jump out then scarfs it up!

Oh, Welcome to the community!!

·
Registered
523 Posts
I tried giving her time to eat then removeing the food for the next feeding and trying again to see if would eat it as she became hungry and realized that's what she was gonna get. Reluctantly, she would nibble on it, but not sit and eat it all..

On the other hand she loves to eat up all of the Cat's food.. Had to put the Cat's food up high to avoid that.
First, welcome!

One of my dogs was real picky about her food. I did what you did. I switched until I found a food she liked. I don't know if your dog is picky or not but mine still is. I usually put a dollop of yogurt on top to get her to start eating and that seems to help. However, when I give her turkey or chicken she will scarf it down. I'm thinking of switching to raw. Might be something to think about.

My picky dog also loves to eat my cat's food. That's a good idea to put it up high. All three of my cats eat high.

P.S. Any tips to offer as far as housebraking too? I've been told to use a Dog Crate.

P.S.S. OH! Is it normal for a Dog being held not to want to be hand fed, she turns her head and pushes my hand with her paw. If I put it in her mouth she spits it out, even if it's a treat she loves when fed while she's on the ground
I've had many dogs over the years and the easiest and fastest way to train was when I used a dog crate. It eased my mind that she wouldn't leave a mess on my floor if she had to go. And, it worked great!!!!

Not sure about a dog and being hand fed while holding the dog. If mine aren't hungry they won't eat it no matter what I do. They will eat eventually when they are hungry. But, I did try different methods to get them to eat like my dollop of yogurt. I even put some peanut butter mixed in and canned dog food and raw (as in turkey/chicken) which worked the best.

Good Luck!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts