Dog Food Chat banner

1 - 20 of 142 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
I feed my 3 little dogs Nutro Max and haven't had any problems but this is worrying me. I switched from Purina Pro Plan about 6 months ago because they liked the taste of Nutro Max better. Now I'm worried.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I think you should be worried. I've heard many people on different message boards say that this food is making their dog sick. Good foods to try would be:
Canidae
Solid Gold
Innova
California Kitchen
Fromm
Wellness
Wysong

L

·
0 Posts
I'm not a fan of Nutro at all, though their Ultra formula is decent. However, Nutro has recently been purchased by Purina so I'm not sure if the formulas will change. Currently the Natural Choice line is being repackaged and has been for several months now.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Worried about Nutro

Well I've had my pup on Nutro for a little bit now (not even a month) and I'm hearing so much negativity about it I'm seriously considering taking him off it. I've heard good things about Innova but I also heard that it might be too much protein for small dogs? I have a mini doxie pup. Any advice? This is my first small dog and I'm not sure what to do here...thanks!

-Nicole

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I don't think it's the Innova that has too much protein. I believe it's the Evo. It's grain free and therefore higher in protein. My Bella couldn't take the richness of the Evo.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I switched

I fed my NUTRO for years and had no problems personally but I was not willing to take the chance and switched to a California Natural instead.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I got an email today from dogstarspace.com that I wanted to share:

A message to all members of www.DogStarSpace.com Nutro "Nature Choice" line of food is highly suspected in the deaths of 6 Dogs in the past month. 2 were Rottwieler Rescues, and 1 German Shepherd, which were part of one household in Florida. Then another household had 3 German Shepherds in Central Florida, who all consumed this product, then all died within 48 hours. Nutro ignored the parent of the 3 dead German Shepherds and has refused to cooperate. If you use any Nutro products: stop using them at once. Return them to the store where you bought them, and tell that store why you are returning them. Please repost this critical food alert, and tell your neighbors and friends with Dogs!! A BIG thank you to DSS member Beagahoula pen for notifying us of this alert!! Visit www.DogStarSpace.com at: http://www.dogstarspace.com

·
Registered
257 Posts
I've been feeding most of my dogs Nutro dry food for years. They get Lamb and Rice, or Chicken, Rice and Oatmeal. They've never had any health issues at all.
I still haven't seen any real reason to worry about it.

I called the store about it, they aren't taking it back because there aren't any recalls.

·
Registered
257 Posts
I'm not a fan of Nutro at all, though their Ultra formula is decent. However, Nutro has recently been purchased by Purina so I'm not sure if the formulas will change. Currently the Natural Choice line is being repackaged and has been for several months now.
Nutro was bought by Mars, and Purina is made by Nestle. I can't find anything that said Nutro is made by Purina, do you have any info about that? Thanks.

·
Registered
628 Posts
I've been feeding most of my dogs Nutro dry food for years. They get Lamb and Rice, or Chicken, Rice and Oatmeal. They've never had any health issues at all.
I still haven't seen any real reason to worry about it.

I called the store about it, they aren't taking it back because there aren't any recalls.

Personally I would not purchase a food that did not have a 100% satisfaction guarantee no questions asked. I canot tell you how many bags of food I have returned due to my dog's tummy issues no questions asked just said it didn't work for us. All of the premium brands have this guarantee, you may want to check on the nutro bag I don't know if they do or not.

·
Registered
3,550 Posts
Nutro was bought by Mars, and Purina is made by Nestle. I can't find anything that said Nutro is made by Purina, do you have any info about that? Thanks.
THANK YOU!! People have been saying that all over this site, but Nutro is definitely not made or purchased by Purina to the best of my knowledge and according to both of their websites. The reason they changed their Nutro Max packaging was because it looked "out-dated" and they reformulated their ingredients. I know their cat food ingredients got a little better :)

On another note, Nutro does have a 100% guarantee, you just have to call the number on the bag, not the store you got it from. Of course, if your dogs aren't having a problem with it and you are satisfied, they may be more reluctant to work with you, especially if you don't have a receipt.

·
Registered
257 Posts
THANK YOU!! People have been saying that all over this site, but Nutro is definitely not made or purchased by Purina to the best of my knowledge and according to both of their websites. The reason they changed their Nutro Max packaging was because it looked "out-dated" and they reformulated their ingredients. I know their cat food ingredients got a little better :)

On another note, Nutro does have a 100% guarantee, you just have to call the number on the bag, not the store you got it from. Of course, if your dogs aren't having a problem with it and you are satisfied, they may be more reluctant to work with you, especially if you don't have a receipt.
A lot of companies change the look of the packaging, Raisin Bran just did and it's still made in the same place the same way, just the box is different. I haven't checked the Nutro cat food lately, I used to feed it to my cats, but switched to Chicken Soup which isn't all that great either.

Nutro has a guarantee, but that doesn't mean the store will take it back. If the dogs get a belly ache from the food, it's not the fault of the store. I never checked the guarantee because the dogs all seem fine and happy with it. Even my most finicky dog who hated most dry food will eat it.

·
Registered
3,550 Posts
Yeah but I did check the ingredients before and after and they definitely changed.

And like I said, the stores don't give the guarantee, the companies do.

·
Registered
628 Posts
A lot of companies change the look of the packaging, Raisin Bran just did and it's still made in the same place the same way, just the box is different. I haven't checked the Nutro cat food lately, I used to feed it to my cats, but switched to Chicken Soup which isn't all that great either.

Nutro has a guarantee, but that doesn't mean the store will take it back. If the dogs get a belly ache from the food, it's not the fault of the store. I never checked the guarantee because the dogs all seem fine and happy with it. Even my most finicky dog who hated most dry food will eat it.
Most of the time the dog food company does the guarantee through the store. The store takes it back sends back the UPC code of the food to the company and the company reimburses them. I have always returned foods to the store and trust me, I've returned over $500 worth of food easy in the past year many many different brands to include California Natural, Canidae, chicken Soup, Blue Buffalo, Taste of the Wild, Wellness, Kirkland Signature, to name just a few, all were taken back by the store, refunded and then the store gets the money back from the manufacturer. This isn't all of the time, but it's the majority of the time.

L

·
0 Posts
The info came from the Nutro rep at my store. I'll double check with him again on Thursday though. He's new, so maybe he was mistaken.

·
Registered
3,550 Posts
Wow, if a Nutro rep told you that, he should probably not be working for Nutro since that's not true and an insult to the food. I know most of you aren't too keen on Nutro, but you have to admit it's better than Purina.

1 - 20 of 142 Posts