Dog Food Chat banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2,309 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I finally found a small mexican store that carries chicken feet. I bought a pound yesterday. Well, I thought he was going to gobble them up. Yeah right. He plays around with them in his mouth and then spits them out, and walks away. This morning, he actually ate the entire thing! I was so happy! He threw it up about 5 minutes later and walked away from it. He doesn't take to them too well. And they are so cheap too. 50 cents a pound!!

Any tips???

·
Registered
4,419 Posts
So you lost $.50. That sounds like you had a cheap lesson there. :smile: I would try a few more times then give up. Other than a good natural source of glucosamine, I don't see much nutritional value in chicken feet anyway. I don't feed them.

·
Registered
10,128 Posts
I know this sounds really gross but could you chop them up into really small pieces so they could be given like bite sized treats?

·
Registered
163 Posts
Wookie eats them when she's hungry. I try to feed her one or two before a meal on weekends (for glucosamine) when she exercises a lot.

We don't have puking related to chicken feet, but maybe you could try feed those when he's hungry and then give some muscle meat right after he swallows the foot to balance it out.
It could be just something he needs to get used to. :smile:

·
Registered
2,309 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I know this sounds really gross but could you chop them up into really small pieces so they could be given like bite sized treats?
I could do that. Even though I don't like to touch the things to begin with...

·
Registered
2,309 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Wookie eats them when she's hungry. I try to feed her one or two before a meal on weekends (for glucosamine) when she exercises a lot.
I tried giving it to him right before breakfast, and no luck...he just spits it out.

It could be just something he needs to get used to. :smile:
You're probably right. I will try a few more times...I've got about 10 pairs left.

·
Registered
5,009 Posts
My GSD took a while to get used to Chicken Feet, I don't think he recognized them as food, honestly.
They're pretty nasty little things. You could try cutting them up like natalie said, might have more luck that way, or even feeding them with canned fish in a bowl.

·
Registered
4,655 Posts
Did you try giving them to him frozen, semi frozen? My 2 dogs will eat them just fine, in fact Cayenne chomps graciously, Leo hesitates a little bit but eats them, Kenzie the rescue won't touch em.

·
Registered
718 Posts
Wow, sorry to hear Aspen didn't take to them right away. Both of my dogs took to chicken feet immediately. I only feed each of them one at a time, maybe once a week or so. No problems though. 50 cents per pound is a heck of a deal. I've never seen them below .99/lb.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts