Dog Food Chat banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I've changed my dog to Acana, It's been a bit over a month now and it's been fine so far, but over the last few days he's started having really wierd stools, some were soft (not runny) and he kept on going for like 5-6 times during a single walk, the first time it would be good hard and big, then it tends to get smaller and smaller and kinda softer, not sure what to do, is it time to change the food again?

·
Registered
10,128 Posts
If he's going multiple times on a walk it might just be peristalsis (natural passive muscular movement of the small intestine) that's causing his loose stools. Lots of activity will do that to most dogs.

Try feeding him less, just a bit less than normal. And see if that helps. Sometimes overfeeding will cause loose stools.

Did you just open a new bag? Or still working on the same one? Sometimes composition of the ingredients of kibble will fluctuate from bag to bag. Even these small fluctuations can cause loose stool in dogs.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Perhaps flushing him out for a few days with high fiber green beans or peas mixed with a protein source of Sardines or canned Salmon..

I hope things clear up soon..

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It's the same still his first bag of acana actually been a bit over a month now, i always feed him the same as i weight the food before giving it to him and ya he goes for a walk about 3 times a day, thing is he never used to do this just the last few days, might take him to the vet to check for parasites and see if i change kibble if things change at all

·
Registered
29 Posts
It's the same still his first bag of acana actually been a bit over a month now, i always feed him the same as i weight the food before giving it to him and ya he goes for a walk about 3 times a day, thing is he never used to do this just the last few days, might take him to the vet to check for parasites and see if i change kibble if things change at all

Be careful with Vets. I'm not very trusting of Vets. You don't want to do more harm by trying to do good.....follow the advice others have given and be patient..Wilbur and I pray it all works out for you...

And if he's getting his Heartgard heartworm protection, that has anti-parasite properties to it as well...

·
Registered
4,655 Posts
Don't change foods as this might not be the cause of his stool change!, once a dog has been on a food for awhile they become adapted and you can actually feed less, were you feeding the reccomended amount on the side of the bag?, if you were then it was too much anyway.

I would just simply take in a sample of stool to have checked for parasites to your vet, make sure it is as fresh as possible. Good Luck!

Reactions: magicre
1 - 9 of 9 Posts