Dog Food Chat banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I'm new to this forum (very new actually heh), but I need some help
I'm trying to switch one of my dogs to a new higher quality brand. I've done lots of research but I can't settle on which one's the best. I've limited it to a few brands;
- Earthborn
- Fromm
- Taste of the Wild - I know a lot of people use this one but I've read a few negatives about it so I'm not sure

Any input would be very welcome c:

·
Registered
87 Posts
I don't feed any of those brands but have tried them in the past. My dog wouldn't touch all three of them, starved herself until I changed to something else.

Besides that, out of the three I would choose Fromm. Much too high in carbs and low in meat protein for my girl though, she would gain rapidly on that food. Fromm has a great reputation, no recalls, makes all of their own foods, etc. Some of the Earthborn formulas are good but some are also very high in ash, something to keep in mind. Taste of the Wild is a great food on paper but I personally could never feel comfortable feeding it. It is made by Diamond and they have had so many recalls on the various foods they co pack, it puts a bad taste in my mouth.

·
Registered
684 Posts
My boxer does well on Fromm Gold Adult. The Four Star is higher quality, but too pricey for my budget. I've fed TOTW Pacific Stream in the past to other boxers I've had with good results. Diamond hasn't had a recall since 2012, I think, so I think they've cleaned up their act. I've also heard about the high ash content in Earthborn.

·
Registered
908 Posts
I have fed and liked the Fromm Gold. Also fed TOTW and had sick dogs with that one.

I am currency impressed with Science Diet Salmon grain free. I can hardly believe how well Echo and Jack are doing on it. These two both have such sensitive bellies and no issues with this food, digestion is vastly improved.

The other thing I noticed is Echos coat has always been brown With a rusty red cast to it. She's been eating Fromm for years. The majority of her life (5years). It is now as dark as can be a rich dark brown with no red anywhere.

Now I was the first person to loudly proclaim how awful SD was!! Said I'd never feed it in a million years but it came down to these two dogs having such issues with their bellies that I pretty much held my breath and gritted my teeth when I first started trying it. Been about two months now and I continue to be surprised.

No affiliation but very surprised and pleased so far.

Another food I really like is any of the Precise Naturals line.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts