Dog Food Chat banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
5,009 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, I put my dogs on raw food for about two weeks and it wasn't settling well with my family I'm living with (grandparents) because of the freezer space issue. They were doing very well, occasional loose stool from the change I'm sure, but otherwise doing very well.
Well, I got kicked out of the freezer due to canning season (yay Suzie-homemaker grandma!) and had to put the boys back on kibble until I move out in a couple months.
Champ took right back to his Canidae with one dy of loose stools, but is otherwise fine. It's been about a week now. I put Grissom on Evo (was on Innova Puppy before going raw, but got regular tasts of Evo with zero issues) and he hasn't had a solid stool in almost a week. The two of them share a custom built dog house at night, and Griss had six accidents last night and I woke up to two poop covered dogs this morning, not exactly what I was hoping for. He never has acidents normally. he's acting totally normal, has an appetite, he's actually playing in daycare right now and having a ball. His eyes look good, and he's still very alert with quick reflexes.
I don't want to rush him to the vet and run a million tests for a vet to shrug his shoulders and tell me to wait it out. I would think if it was a real illness Champ would be sick by now too, or he'd act sick. but he doesn't, but having serious poop problems. Is this normal going from raw to kibble? (does anyone ever even go back after going raw? Probably not)
I don't have a choice on kibble vs. raw right now, the choice is not up to me, and it's been decided for me. I am living with family and have to respect their wishes to keep "that stuff" out of the freezer. Come December, they'll both be on raw again.

Any suggestions on what to do? What it might be? How long do I wait before going to the vet? (I hate vets) Is it the Evo not settling with him specificly? Just the transition? DO I backtrack and phase from Innova to Evo? (I didn't think this was necessary because of the time he spent on raw. maybe I was wrong?) I want to keep him on grain-free until December but my only local options are Evo, Merrick BG, and I can get TOTW if I travel about an hour.

·
Registered
4,419 Posts
I don't want to rush him to the vet and run a million tests for a vet to shrug his shoulders and tell me to wait it out. I would think if it was a real illness Champ would be sick by now too, or he'd act sick. but he doesn't, but having serious poop problems. Is this normal going from raw to kibble? (does anyone ever even go back after going raw? Probably not)
If he has normal energy and acts like he feels good, don't worry about him. Make sure he stays hydrated.

Any suggestions on what to do?
Just on the off chance you don't know, you feed much less EVO than regular foods. Try cutting back severly on the portions. I would try feeding half what you are feeding now.

What it might be?
System adjust.

How long do I wait before going to the vet?
As long as diarrhea is his only symptom, I wouldn't go to the vet as long as he acts and feels good.

Is it the Evo not settling with him specificly?
Don't know.

Just the transition?
Don't know.

DO I backtrack and phase from Innova to Evo?
I don't see that accomplishing anything. If he is the same in a few days, you might try it.

·
Registered
5,009 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
If he has normal energy and acts like he feels good, don't worry about him. Make sure he stays hydrated.
That's what I've been thinking, it just seems to be getting worse, not better. But I hate to pay a vet to shrug his shoulders at me and charge me $50.

Just on the off chance you don't know, you feed much less EVO than regular foods. Try cutting back severly on the portions. I would try feeding half what you are feeding now.
I knew :smile: He's about 15lbs (9 months) and eating 1/3 C morning and night. (I know evo is for dogs "over one year" but I don't really buy into that...)Should I cut him down to less than that? I don't want him to feel hungry all the time, he's already a food maniac and always looking for something to eat.

He's drinking plenty of water. I guess I'll just be patient for another week or so, and if he gets worse I'll take him in. I'm just tired of the mess I have every single morning. I'm tired of scrubbing the dog house floors every morning, and taking them in for baths.

·
Banned
620 Posts
Despite what you may hear, Abady Granulars are IMO the absolute best option if you can't go with the raw. And, you never know, it may even help your Max and turn him around some. I would call the Abady people and see if they can offer any help or suggestions in what you could do. From what I understand if you're sincere on the phone and not negative in regards to the product they will try to help. I may not be the most well liked person around here, and I hope that wouldn't interfere or play a factor in deciding not to call and speak with someone from Abady. Initial cost can turn some folks away but considering they eat less because it is very rich, in the long run the cost will even itself out. Good luck with Max, I hope he feels better.

·
Registered
5,009 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Despite what you may hear, Abady Granulars are IMO the absolute best option if you can't go with the raw. And, you never know, it may even help your Max and turn him around some.
I do appreciate the input, but Max is already in multiple organ failure, and I don't see any dog food turning him around. perhaps you misread, this post is about Grissom, my Corgi pup... the ONE of my dogs that generally can eat anything and do fine.

I would call the Abady people and see if they can offer any help or suggestions in what you could do. From what I understand if you're sincere on the phone and not negative in regards to the product they will try to help.
I'm not interested in taking him off of Evo unless the Evo is directly causing it. I am just not sure how to pinpoint the problem. Is it the Evo, or just the fact it's not raw? I'm probably jumping the gun because it's only been a week. I wouldn't be concerned if it wasn't getting worse and worse rather than better. He's gone from just mushy stools to mucus filled and kind of bloody.

I may not be the most well liked person around here, and I hope that wouldn't interfere or play a factor in deciding not to call and speak with someone from Abady. Initial cost can turn some folks away but considering they eat less because it is very rich, in the long run the cost will even itself out. Good luck with Max, I hope he feels better.
No, you're not, but then again I'm not either. lol. We don't see eye to eye on a lot of things, but that won't stop me from considering your opinion, and deciding if I want to try or not. In this case I don't. (and the collar case. lol) but I do appreciate your time and effort in giving me your input.

As for Max, I've come to terms with what is coming for him, but it's still incredibly tough.

·
Registered
4,655 Posts
Give Grissom a couple pepto bismol tablets, at least that will help with the diarrhea. When Cayenne was a puppy she constantly had diarrhea because I couldn't seem to find the right food to fit her, the vet said it was fine to give them to her.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts