Dog Food Chat banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi - I recently saw a post on Craigs List and have been in touch with a woman in NY who says:

"I have a natural farm. We raise beef, goats, hogs, horses, chickens. They are all raised completely natural. No commercial feeds, no corns, no chemicals, no antibiotics, no growth hormones. All are free to be animals including the hogs. They are never penned up or confined.
I cut the meat up and package it in bulk for pets. The stuff that is used for human consumption is processed at a butcher facility.

I am located in Moravia, NY. For larger orders I can meet for pick up or you can come here to the farm." Penny

Is anyone interested in buying in bulk from her? I really don't have the freezer space at the moment to make a 300lb order - but if we had a few interested I could arrange a pick-up and to distribute some of her goodies. She said she does really meaty soup bones etc. Anyway - just putting out some feelers for other PA-ers! :smile:

·
Registered
167 Posts
I don't have too much freezer space right now, but will in the near future. Did she give you any prices

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hi - Not yet, but can email her to get some ideas. I'll ask her about a 200 or 300lb order and see what I get! Stay tuned...I'll also ask for specifics on what she would include.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
OK - so here is her price list. I will not feed horse - I find that a little odd. I have four horses of my own and just can't imagine it - but to each his own. So if we did something like:
150lbs of beef meaty bone AND 150lbs of beef chunks it would be just under $500. I don't know if this is a good deal or not?!

beef chunks $1.75 per pound
beef meaty bone $1.50 per pound
goat bone in (when available) $2.25
pork bone in (when available) $2.25
horse meat (I only butcher dangerous horses or ones that may have a leg injury and Cornell University says put them down. They all come from my natural farm - no chemicals. I have one who is dangerous now. I will be butchering him very soon.) $2.25 per pound
horse meaty bones $2.00 per pound
eggs $3.50 per dozen
chicken whole (head, legs, feet, everything still in place) $15 each
veal (when available) $2.50 per pound

I am have some piglets available at this time as well. They sell for $5.00 ea. All died due to cold or was suffocated by the mother (by accident of course). They are safe for dogs to eat.

I know you are not wanting to feed horse, however, you would be feeding meat. Very lean meat. My dogs love it. I had one that broke his leg about 5 years ago. I thought I would never be able to feed it. Was not bad to feed though since it was just meat. (he was my favorite horse)

·
Registered
10 Posts
a bit pricey

I understand her prices because she is presumably doing a lot of work, however, because I am feeding 6-7 pounds of dog food a day, I'll have to stick to my ShopRite deals.

So far the best prices I've found for non-enhanced chicken, beef, and pork in a variety of parts.

Thanks for reaching out and getting the info.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I agree, didn't think her prices were so great myself. I have a few natural resources locally and will let you know if I come in to any deals. I'll have to check out ShopRite ... also there is a butcher in my town that got me some good deals on chicken quarters and parts - 50lb boxes for $23.00 which I thought was really good.

·
Registered
10 Posts
50 lbs for $23 is a nice price. ShopRite in Brodheasville (Rte 209) always has backs in stock which are currently priced at $.49 per lb. They also have chicken heart and gizzard packs for $.29 per lb.

I can also get really nice prices on pork. The beef and other proteins may take some more leg work. I just started raw with my puppy so I haven't gotten into the wide variety need yet.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts