Dog Food Chat banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
We are at the 2 month raw feeding mark. I like to get the dog to the next level, lamb and pork for example as it is readly available at supermarkets.

I bought a few lamb shank pieces. They have a good amount of fat and neat. Wonder whether I should pay extra attention to the bone. Can it cause cracks to the teeth?

I wanted to buy also some pork ribs or shoulder (it was on sale) and the butcher warned me that it is not a good idea. He didn't seem very informed thou. Do you guys feed pork and lamb? If so which parts?
Cause of my skepticism about pork is that I don't see it very popular as meat sorce used by dog food companies either beside the bacteria/parassites issue.
To make it easier for novice like me, is there a master list on this site of meats/parts that are safe for dogs?

Thank again

·
Registered
718 Posts
I feed pork all the time although it took a couple days for my dogs to warm up to it. Haven't tried lamb yet, too expensive. With pork I either feed ribs (bone and all) or boneless shoulder or butt meat. The bones in roasts probably aren't a good idea as they are either dense load bearing bones or they are butchered in a way that leaves them with sharp edges.

My two love pork now that they are used to it and it's usually pretty inexpensive around here. RFD will probably recommend feeding slabs of ribs (2 or 3 together) so the dog can't gulp them whole. Both of my dogs are too small to even eat one whole rib and they chew them thoroughly so I feed them one rib at a time. Your dog may be big enough to warrant small slabs of ribs.

I don't worry about bacteria any more than I do with any other meat, which isn't much at all with regards to the dogs. For some reason though I discovered handling a lot of raw pork irritates my skin so I wear nitrile gloves when I have a pork cutting session. I don't experience this with chicken, turkey, or beef. I don't worry about trichinosis in pork, It's almost unheard of in American pork, extremely rare. It's more of a problem with game or pork from undeveloped countries.

·
Registered
4,419 Posts
I bought a few lamb shank pieces. They have a good amount of fat and neat. Wonder whether I should pay extra attention to the bone. Can it cause cracks to the teeth?
No, don't worry about lamb bones. They are not real dense. Good eating. :smile:

I wanted to buy also some pork ribs or shoulder (it was on sale) and the butcher warned me that it is not a good idea. He didn't seem very informed thou. Do you guys feed pork and lamb?
I feed Boston Butt pork roast at least once a week. I don't feed lamb because it's expensive here but I would gladly feed it if I could get it reasonably priced. Your butcher is an expert at cutting meat, not an expert on canine nutrition.

If so which parts?
I would feed any part of either animal. I would be careful with the weight bearing bones of the pig but the lamb is no problem. Like JJ said, I would feed ribs in a rack, not individual ribs. I wouldn't feed the stomach or intestines but everything else is good.

Cause of my skepticism about pork is that I don't see it very popular as meat sorce used by dog food companies either beside the bacteria/parassites issue.
Pork is a good meat to feed. I have fed it at least once a week for over 7 years with no problems. I am on several raw feeding lists and haven't seen anyone else with problems either. If you are concerned about parasites, you can freeze it for a month and it will kill them. Personally, I often feed pork the night I bring it home from the store.

To make it easier for novice like me, is there a master list on this site of meats/parts that are safe for dogs?
Most any part of most any animal is editable for dogs. Some people don't like to feed carnivores to their dogs. Don't know why. Any herbivore is never questioned.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
RFD, thanks again for sharing your knowledge.

I am really stupid some times and as you noticed I am trying to learn and mainly I want to be sure of what I am doing.

When you feed pork roast what do you do, just cut a big chunk, let's say a lb and give to do dog? What about the bone part? Wouldn't the dog have very loose stool if there is no bone at all in a meal? At least my dog would.

·
Registered
4,419 Posts
I am really stupid some times and as you noticed I am trying to learn and mainly I want to be sure of what I am doing.
Don't worry so much and don't try to achieve perfection. It's pretty difficult to screw this thing up and when you do its basically just diarrhea for a few days.

When you feed pork roast what do you do, just cut a big chunk, let's say a lb and give to do dog?
Remember I have big dogs. Great Danes. When I buy the roasts I have the butcher cut them exactly in half. At meal time one dog is handed one half and the other dog is handed the other. They get the bone and all. Takes them bout 2 minutes or less to finish eating their respective halves.

What about the bone part? Wouldn't the dog have very loose stool if there is no bone at all in a meal?
They eat the bone but it wouldn't be a problem if they didn't. THey have 2 or 3 boneless meals a week. It's not a big deal to have a boneless meal.

Your dog is still new ... before long he will be able to tolerate boneless meals.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts