Dog Food Chat banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We have been using Science Diet for over 2 decades based on our Vet's recommendation and now we are told that it is no good. 2 of our dogs have skin allergies and our trainer recommended this site to me. He also recommended researching a raw diet for them. I don't know a thing about it, so please any and all comments or suggestions are appreciated on this matter. Thanks so much!:smile:

·
Registered
3,435 Posts
We have been using Science Diet for over 2 decades based on our Vet's recommendation and now we are told that it is no good. 2 of our dogs have skin allergies and our trainer recommended this site to me. He also recommended researching a raw diet for them. I don't know a thing about it, so please any and all comments or suggestions are appreciated on this matter. Thanks so much!:smile:
Welcome to DFC!!!:wave:

Great to hear that you have someone in your trainer that is leading you in the right direction!!:thumb:

I have 5 dogs(as pictured in my signature) and 2 cats on a raw diet. I feed Prey Model Raw...like shown on this site Dedicated to proper carnivore nutrition - Prey Model Raw Feeding for Dogs & Cats (the getting started page is awesome!) I also like RawFed.com Home Page (their myth page is great!)

I highly suggest raw for every dog and cat! Like I said I have 5 dogs, 3 that are/wil be around 50-55lbs, one who is 17lbs and one who is 8.5lbs...so quite the range of sizes!Lol. They all are doing great, no amazing, including my one who had stomach issues and 2 who had skin/hair issues on even the best of kibbles!:wink:

Anyways....I'm sure many other raw feeders will come and welcome you and explain their situations, but once again, Welcome to DFC....and I highly suggest checking out both of those links and also reading the raw section here, all the stickies are GREAT, there are many threads that will answer many questions you might have, and don't hesitate to start a thread there and ask more questions!!:becky:

·
Registered
8,262 Posts
unfortunately, Science Diet is one of the most expensive yet poorest quality dog foods in existence. Vets have a vested interest in selling it because they share in the profits.

I'm glad your trainer sent you here. Scarlett gave you great links.

If you decide not to feed raw, there are good dry foods that are much better than SD. However, a raw diet would pretty much ensure no more food allergies.

·
Registered
972 Posts
Hello and WelcOme! I have to agree with whoever told you Scuence Diet is crap, sorry to be so blunt. You have come to the right place! If you do not want to feed raw after reading all about it there are still kibbles way better than SD. I am going raw for my two this summer, so I have not much to say on it yet lol

·
Registered
3,550 Posts
welcome to the forum! So sorry your vet has steered you wrong like so many countless other people. Don't worry, we'll help you out here :smile: feel free to post any questions in the feeding sections!

·
Registered
4,267 Posts
Hi and welcome. I wonder who your trainer is, he's obviously well acquainted with this site. They aren't a bad bunch here really. (thats sarcasm btw).
My dog is on raw, my friend put her 14yo pug on mostly raw about 8 months ago. Neither of our vets like raw, which isn't uncommon, but both of them couldn't stop going on about how good both dogs look. So, it's never too late to change.
Have a look at this site, Dog Food Reviews - Main Index - Powered by ReviewPost you can look up the various kibbles there and see exactly why SD is so awful. If you decide to stay on kibble, there are many, many better choices out there.
My other friends mini schnauzer was on SD for 9 years, up until about 4 or 5 months ago. She is now on Fromm and her owner can't dispute that the dog is a lot more energetic, her coat is softer, her demeanour is so much happier and she is even getting a bit of a shine to her coat now.
So, good on you for taking the time to do a bit of research and choose a better food for your pups. If you have any questions, no matter how dumb you think they are about raw or kibble, there are lots of good people here willing to give you a hand. Cheers!

·
Registered
1,479 Posts
Welcome to the forum! Until I came here in July of last year I had never even heard of a raw diet for dogs! Now here I am 7 months later with 2 dogs eating raw. I have a 10 month old JRT who I started on partial raw back in October and went full raw in late December. My 5 month old Toy Fox Terrier has been on raw since I brought him home at 8 weeks old in late December. It is working well for both of mine. Good luck on your journey to find something better for your dogs.

·
Registered
196 Posts
I dont feed raw, but I do feed a rotation diet, which includes some raw, high quality kibble, canned, dehydrated, plus things like sardines, scrambled eggs, and veggies.

I would never feed Science Diet, It's more expensive than Acana Pacifica, which is 100 times better! I just looked at it today.

If you dont feel up to switching to raw, do a little research on what ingredients mean in kibble. eg. Chicken By-Product Meal is basically beaks and feathers (and diseased parts) that are cooked at an extremely high heat (which basically destroys anything good), then dried. It's disgusting, and not something I'd ever feed my dogs. Instead, you want a food that says Chicken Meal or just Chicken. Then pick a good quality food.

Hills makes a HUGE profit off their food. they use cheap and poor quality ingredients and mark it up higher than most other brands of food!

Reactions: xellil

·
Premium Member
4,271 Posts
Welcome! :welcome: Raw is by far the best way to go for allergies, and you have a great support group here.

SD is definantly one of the lowest quality foods out there. I have been feeding raw now for almost three years and the results are amazing!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thank you all for your help and encouragement. I thought I was doing best by my babies, turns out I was hurting them. This feeling blows! I wish someone had told me about this years ago! Anyway I'm still researching. It seems there are varieties of raw feeding, my dogs have sensitive tummies too, so I have to be careful with switching. But I'm going to do it! Thanks again, keep the info coming :)

·
Registered
3,435 Posts
Thank you all for your help and encouragement. I thought I was doing best by my babies, turns out I was hurting them. This feeling blows! I wish someone had told me about this years ago! Anyway I'm still researching. It seems there are varieties of raw feeding, my dogs have sensitive tummies too, so I have to be careful with switching. But I'm going to do it! Thanks again, keep the info coming :)
We have all been there....don't feel like your alone! That "Holy CRAP what have I been doing" moment does suck, I know....but believe me...that feeling once you see them thriving on something far superior nearly does away with it!!:thumb:

As far as the styles of raw....I switched to raw (Prey Model) because of my Rhett, he was my sensitive stomached guy(Brody, who was the only other dog at the time, is an iron gut!Lol) I switched, "cold turkey" so to speak and haven't ever looked back!:biggrin:
I highly suggest the "Getting started guide." in the first link I gave you...it is how I have swapped over all 5 of my dogs(and also a modified version helped me swap over my 2 cats!:happy:) I've also since starting last May gotten my Mum to swap over her 2 dogs, 1 cat and come up with a homemade diet for my sister's 16 year old dog.

I HIGHLY suggest going prey model style, it is easier to understand with the outline being mostly muscle meat(around 80%,) some edible bone(around 10%,) and some organs(around 10% with around half of that being liver.). It is also geared at being speciese appropriate, feeding are pet carnivores as well, carnivores!Lol
You start each dog out on 1.5% of his/her Perfect(or Projected) Adult Weight...then once further along you can up the amount if needed, many/most dogs are fed at 2% of their P.A.W.
We mostly suggest starting out with chicken, bone in(SLIGHLY bone heavy to start with,) backs, leg quarter, whole chickens hacked up, etc. Skin and fat removed for the first week or so...and EVERYTHING is introed SLOWLY, other then that first 24 hour fast followed by 1/3-1/2 of a meal!!:biggrin1:

There are, generally, no supliments needed(aside from adding Omega 3s if not able to provide a diet high in grass fed/wild caught animals.).

Anyways, I'm rambling now!Lol

I would suggest looking around the links given to you, look around the raw feeding section here(the stickies are great!:thumb:) and feel free to ask any and all questions!!:wave:

Reactions: Liz
1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.