Dog Food Chat banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, New to forum and need some good advice. I have been feeding my Cocker Spaniels the Nutro brand Natures Choice Venison formula for several years due to accidents in the house while we were at work. They like the taste and are doing good on it.I have been reading about the problems with Nutro and am worried. My Vet knows what I feed them and has not told me to change. (Ages are 12 and 5 of my boys). I pay around $50.00 for a 30 lb. bag and do not want to pay more than that if possible. Thanks for any advice.

·
Registered
219 Posts
You can certainly get a better quality food for less than what you are paying now.
I would recommend you check out Dog Food Analysis - Reviews of kibble and see if you have at least a 4 star quality food available near you.
Unfortunately vets don't always recommend we feed the foods that are actually best for our pets, just look at the junk they sell in their offices.
Looks like the review section is down right now, but should be back up soon.
I would first visit the petstores near you and write down the brands they carry so you can ask about them or look up their reviews online.

·
Registered
3,085 Posts
I agree. There are much, much better foods out there for just as much (some maybe less) as you are paying right now. I would go into the dry and canned food section and look through the thread at the top about the best kibble. There are pages and pages of the top kibble brands. :smile: It's a place to start....

·
Registered
3,550 Posts
I would definitely recommend against Nutro, it's a pretty awful brand and you can get way better foods for the same price! Welcome to the forum!

·
Registered
2,359 Posts
Hi and welcome to the forum! You will get great advice here!
Nutro has had ultimate recalls and is really not a great food. Have you thought of wellness core or Innova Evo or Fromm or Bg Merrick, or Orijen. What exactly are you looking for grain less with grain? There are some great foods in your price range! Natura brands great, Champion brands great!
A lot of good foods out there! If you transition though start slow 75% old 25% new couple days then 50% old 50% new few days, then 25% old 75% new then 100% new. I would actually try to do this within a two week if not a week period to get the pups off Nutro as soon as I could! Probably a week!:smile:

·
Registered
5,009 Posts
Welcome to the forum! You'll find lots of information here, so stick around and jumpp right in!
I also recommend getting off the Nutro ASAP. Maybe check out canidae or Taste of the Wild.... you might even save money on these foods, and they're MUCH higher quality!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts