Dog Food Chat banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, I'm Guinness. I am an 11 year old Bull Terrier. I'm currently eating Innova Senior and love it. My mom took me in for a check up and blood work. The blood results came back with my kidney functions being above normal ranges. My vet recommended my mom switch me to Science Diet Prescription K/D, since I now need a low protein diet. Wondering if there are other diets that would be better... I've been on other Prescription diets and they are yucky.

·
Registered
10,128 Posts
Actually the kidneys do well on a high protein diet. It just has to be the CORRECT type of protein. Kibbles have a lot of different protein sources and a lot of that protein comes from plant based ingredients. Dogs struggle to breakdown these proteins (think of something like soy which is very high in protein) which works their body systems much harder than they need to.

What I highly recommend to you is to switch your dog to raw. With this kind of diet your dog will get increased amounts of moisture which is especially important for kidney function. Eating species appropriate foods will allow your dogs body systems not to work on overload all the time.

L

·
0 Posts
Perhaps a single protein source kibble or even adding some canned (100% meat) dog food to the kibble would help? I am by no means an expert, but if extra moisture is needed then canned dog food is very high in moisture and might be beneficial.

·
Registered
4,655 Posts
I have three bull terriers all on a raw diet, but I didn't get here by chance. If you would like to know more from people who are familiar with the breed go to Yahoo groups and search bull terrier. I belong to "raw4bullies" "bullterriers" "positivelybullterriers", most of these people feed raw and alot of them had issues like your dog when they were fed a kibble diet. Good Luck!

Reactions: crazy4guinness
1 - 4 of 4 Posts