Dog Food Chat banner

1 - 20 of 89 Posts

·
Registered
3,550 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all, as cheesy as it may be, is anyone here doing New Years resolutions this year?

Mine:

1. Enroll in vet tech school and get as close to completing two semesters as possible before 2012.

2. Lose all this darn holiday weight and keep it off for once!

3. Finish up training Peyton so she is either Personal Protection or CGC trained by the end of the year! Or maybe both! :biggrin:

·
Registered
2,004 Posts
Personally I don't think this should be done once a year. It's something that needs to be done on a regular basis...

Life changes can't be made when you only focus on them once a year

MOST IMPORTANT... Put your goals down on paper and post them somewhere you'll see them every day (a great place is the bathroom mirror).

·
Registered
1,214 Posts
I think I'll put one on my computer screen. hahahaha.

My New Year's resolution (and this is my first ever, so let's see how this goes) is to get a move on with my novel and actually finish it and start submitting it with literary agents and publishers.

Reactions: stajbs and jdatwood

·
Registered
5,009 Posts
Mine is to take more time out for the people who matter most to me.
This might mean getting off the couch after a 13 hour shift to help my mom organize her storage room, or driving to Denver just because I can. It might mean playing a 3 hour card game with my grandparents when I would really rather be in bed.
I lost my grandmother this month, and I really regret not taking a day or two off work to go see her more, or staying longer at the hospice to hear whatever (repeat) story came next.
Should I lose someone I love in 2011, I shall do so with no such regrets.

·
Registered
1,214 Posts
My grandmother passed away this year, too, but it was bitter sweet. It was a long time coming, and in my opinion, too long. I felt horrible five years ago when I saw her in the home she was staying in, because she just looked absolutely wretched, and couldn't even get out of bed. For the last year or so of her life, she wasn't even really aware of her surroundings. Nobody ever told her that two of her daughters passed away, because she wouldn't have remembered them anyways. She was on a feeding tube, had all kinds of bed sores, and...it was just wrong. I would never want to live my life like that. I was sad when she left this world, but kind of glad that she didn't have to suffer anymore. Now she can be wherever she is, much happier and healthier.

In any case, really sorry to hear about your grandmother, Linsey. It would be so wonderful if you could get more time to spend with your other grandparents, and I wish you the best of luck with that. I'm sure you'll enjoy every minute of it, knowing you're doing the most selfless act there is to spend time with them and make sure their last years aren't spent in vain. You truly are a wonderful person, Linsey!

·
Registered
1,214 Posts
We should come up with a motivation system to get everyone through this next year and to accomplish their New Year's resolutions, so we don't just give up after the first week of the first new year. haha.

Oh! Oh! How about sending around a PM including all of the accomplishments we've made so that everyone can see how far along we've all gotten, so that way we can think what we want to do next, and keep the PM circulating. Not, like, sending it to the whole group, but sending it singly in a pattern, or something like that.

haha. Yes, I come up with some of the craziest ideas when I'm tired and should be getting ready for bed. XD

·
Registered
3,550 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Or we can just keep using this thread to bug everyone to stay on track with theirs and post our successes like you said :smile:

I'll post on here next week when I get my pay check and enroll in vet tech school so you all know I'm sticking to it! ;)

·
Registered
10,128 Posts
My resolutions this coming year have already started, like Jon said there's no better time than now (meaning today which could be anyday and not just on January 1st) to start.

1). Get into shape like I was when I used to dance. This means losing my chub and gaining muscle! With the help of p90x and southbeach diet I'm already well on my way to looking and feeling better than ever.

2). Complete my course and take the tests to become a Certified Pet Dog Trainer. This will take me 6 months and I can't wait to start, I was just accepted as first pick to the Rocky Mountain Regional Dog Training Academy!!!

3). Move to Idaho on at least 5 acres of rocky mountain property with the love of my life and our pack of dogs!

4). Start up a boarding/training facility on the property we move to and become my own boss.

This is going to be one heck of a busy but fulfilling year!

·
Registered
3,085 Posts
What a great thread! Jon-your post really hit home and made me think. I will be writing my goals down and putting them somewhere so I can see them everyday.

-To get back into shape. The past few months I have let myself go and become a little lazy. Time to snap outta it!

-Get our house ready to sell.

-Move to Portland, Vancouver, or Medford. Get involved with things for my kids and training for my dogs. Get involved with things for ME.

-I want to stay active, happy and healthy. I want to always have a positive outlook on things.

-I want to strive to be an even better mother and wife.

·
Registered
10,780 Posts
regain my health and go from 70% to 90% since 100% would involve putting organs back that were taken out LOL....

along with that, to not have to see a doctor for an entire year, except for the usual 'your cancer did not come back visit'....

and, if i do have to get bloodwork, no more weird abnormal values that sends my internist down exploratory roads for diseases that are nasty....

above all....love my honey, love my dogs....keep the stress down, which took all year to put into play and has worked.....and everything else falls into place...

refine further the dietary choices i made....which except for veggies and fruit, somewhat resembles what my dogs eat LOL...so no starches, grains, sugar...what a difference that has made for us and the dogs....just meat and veggies and occasionally fruit.

·
Registered
1,214 Posts
Or we can just keep using this thread to bug everyone to stay on track with theirs and post our successes like you said :smile:
Yeah, but see, the problem with that is that maybe we'll just stop looking. If there's a message in our inbox, it's to us personally, telling us personally to get off our butts and get out there doing the things we're supposed to be doing. haha.

And if each one of us adds our own accomplishments to a long list of accomplishments, we'll feel even worse not to write anything while we pass it on, and it'll get us even more motivated. There is a method to my madness, y'know!

·
Registered
820 Posts
If I were to list all that I need to do this coming year I will need my whole back door!!!

But the short version:
1- Bump up my grades in med school
2- Start my research masters in skin genetics
3- Put up the damn insulation in the house so I can be warm next winter :)
(4- buy a chest freezer - this does not really count I just need somewhere to put it and that will take time)

·
Registered
1,214 Posts
And it begins!

So, I decided that to start off my journey, I'm going to start reading a lot more. My writing has been very drab lately, and I'd like to fix that, and the only thing I can think of is to be led by example, and so I'm going to read. Thus far, I have found two books on my shelves of decent quality to begin with, and on Monday, my day off, I will venture to the library to get a library card and start taking out more books to read.

The two books I have for now are Lord of the Rings: Fellowship of the Ring, and Eragon. I'm sticking with a fantasy theme, as my book will be a fantasy novel. I have already read the first chapter of LotR:FotR.

Anyone else get started on their goals yet?

·
Registered
3,550 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I plan on getting a gym membership on Monday so I can start working out after work 4 nights per week. I am going to kick my body back into shape whether it likes it or not! This is the gym I'm probably going to go with because it's two blocks from my work and I've been there before so I know it's not too sleezy and I can just go straight there after work, no excuses! European Fitness Center Reno Nevada - Exercise in our Gym, Aerobics and Spa areas

Also, I get paid on Thursday so on Friday I will get everything finalized with vet tech school. Unfortunately because of that huge expense though, Peyton's professional training will have to wait for a month or two.

·
Registered
921 Posts
I like Jon's post, true we should all remind ourselves constantly rather than just making a list at the beginning of the year.

Well, I guess I have a few resolutions...

1. 800 x 600
2. 1024 x 768

XD, okay okay, the real ones:

1. Eat healthier/lose weight. I'm not close to obese or anything, but I have quite a bit of health problems that 20 year olds should not have... my dogs cannot outlive me as I do not trust my family/friends to care for them.

2. Get a job, mainly to buy the dogs more variety, beef and fish can be expensive.

3. Figure out what I want to do in life, as it is long overdue. ( Maybe go back to college soon, try new things), and so my parents don't hate me.

4. Stop being such a hermit all the time.

1 - 20 of 89 Posts