Dog Food Chat banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
989 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello everyone I am new to the site. My vet suggested that I find a forum about raw diets and try to get info for my dogs on it.

I'm sure you hear all these questions over and over but here it goes.
I have labs who compete in all types of events that they love and I have an Asi who loves who use to play with others but is a little nippy and has to stay home and play. They all are very very active animals.

One of my labs lost alot of her hair, legs arms and sides. She was put on meds and has since recovered. My vet says its alergies. There is no history of this in the dogs family? Changed dog food to what I thought was a even better one for her but I have heard raw is best. Vet say she will have to take meds for the rest of her life. I'm hopeing if I put here on raw diet she can stop taking all of this stuff.

All my dogs, 3 , are over 50 pounds. I don't know how to start, what to feed, what amount. My vet says she is just learning about the raw diet and could not offer any more info.

I guess I should have started with I'm a Florida girl and so are my dog friends...I live in a vacation area with lots of tourist visiting Near Captiva and Sanibel also near one of the greatest wildlife areas, Ding Darling Preserve..I am definetly an animal lover and want the best for my dog friends.

·
Registered
4,419 Posts
One of my labs lost alot of her hair, legs arms and sides. She was put on meds and has since recovered. My vet says its alergies. There is no history of this in the dogs family? Changed dog food to what I thought was a even better one for her but I have heard raw is best. Vet say she will have to take meds for the rest of her life. I'm hopeing if I put here on raw diet she can stop taking all of this stuff.
If the problem is a food allergy, a prey model raw diet will take care of the problem pretty quickly and easily. She should be able to get off the meds pretty quickly also. If the allergy is not food related, no diet will completely cure her.

All my dogs, 3 , are over 50 pounds. I don't know how to start, what to feed, what amount. My vet says she is just learning about the raw diet and could not offer any more info.
The first place you could go is to my web page linked in my sig. Also visit the links on that page and read the 2 books listed. After reading the page, if you have any questions (and you will) come back here and ask them or email me privately.

·
Registered
989 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you for the info.......question.....I would like to feed deer and buffalo...which I can get just meat raw. Do you just add bones is there somewhere you can get herrin whole?:smile:

·
Registered
2,359 Posts
Hi and welcome! I hope you get all the information you need along with your vets intake you will do great!:smile:

Reactions: Chocx2

·
Registered
4,419 Posts
Thank you for the info.......question.....I would like to feed deer and buffalo...which I can get just meat raw. Do you just add bones is there somewhere you can get herrin whole?:smile:
Be sure and read my web site. Yes you can feed deer and buffalo but I wouldn't start with those. Start with chicken for a few weeks, then add turkey to the mix, then pork, then try a little deer or buffalo. Deer and buffalo is richer than chicken and turkey and more difficult for a dog beginning on raw to digest until his body adjusts to eating real food. As for bones, if you feed chicken 3 or 4 times a week, you can feed boneless buffalo and venison the other times. Your dog will guide you as to how much bone he needs in his diet but generally it doesn't take an awful lot. 10% or 15% bone us usually sufficient even though most people feed more than that. Of course if you want to feed deer and bufallo with bone it, thats ok too as long as you don't try to feed the weight bearing bones of the buffalo. Weight bearing bones are the leg bones, knuckles, etc.

·
Registered
10,128 Posts
Welcome! I am so jealous that your vet suggested you find a forum like this and research raw...the ones that support it are a rare commodity!!! Feel free to ask any and all questions you have and post pictures of your pooches :biggrin:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts