Dog Food Chat banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
96 Posts
Oh my dog does this I love it. All I did was get her to lay down and then take a treat and drag it in front of the dog on the floor. Take small increments at first and then make them longer. After the dog does pretty well with learning the behavior then start adding the verbal crawl. It's super cute. Your dog is beautiful

·
Registered
10,128 Posts
Get him to lay down.

Then, without a command get him to stand up by luring him with a treat.

As soon as you get him to the height of a crawl stance....say "crawl" and give him a treat.

Do this several times, or however many it takes to get him to get the hang of it.

Then eventually get him to move forward a small bit by luring him with the treat, this will be him kinda "scooting" along while laying down and slightly getting up several times in a row. All the while he is doing this, say "crawl" "crawl" "crawl" etc giving him a treat each time you say the command. You don't have to use the word "crawl" it can be any word really.

When you get to the point where he will actually crawl towards you when given the command, you should make him switch off walking normally and crawling. For example, you say "Aspen come" so he starts to walk towards you, but then you say "crawl" he should be able to change mid stride if he is listening! Fun fun :biggrin:

Let me know if this makes sense! This is what I did to teach Bailey how to crawl :wink:

·
Registered
2,309 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Get him to lay down.

Then, without a command get him to stand up by luring him with a treat.
What do you mean by "get him to stand up?" Do you mean on all fours?

·
Registered
2,965 Posts
There's a very good section on target training at Karen Pryor Clickertraining
They say almost all animal tricks can be taught thru target training. It combines clicker training with targeting. Theres a lot on the internet about it but Karen Pryor seems to write a good concise article about it.

·
Registered
2,359 Posts
My one dog does this now the another is doing it ha! I get them to do like an army crawl. You place the treat after you have gotten the dog to lie down. I do sit then lay then I put the treat in front of them and tell them to crawl by wiggiling the treat along the floor and they do crawl after it its so cute! One of the favorties here! They catch on pretty quickly too!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts