Dog Food Chat banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone! I just found this group and I am excited to join. My boyfriend and I have a large animal family. We have one golden retriever, one black german shepherd, one shepherd husky mix and one DSH cat. lol As you can see the house is full to the brim. All of our dogs are over 80 lbs and two of them have been rescues. I have joined this forum to discuss dog food and rescue stories. 8 months ago my golden was diagnosed with cancer. The tumor was removed and she is now cancer free but I became concerned about the food she and my other dogs were eating. Being a college student money is tight but I am willing to make sacrafices to keep my pets healthy. I am on a food currently but I am always trying to keep up with the most current pet food concerns. Anyway i look forward to this group!

-Jenn-

·
Registered
3,550 Posts
Awesome! Another 3 dogs and 1 cat family like myself, welcome aboard! What kind of food do you have your dogs on now?

I'm in college too and I know it can be hard to afford the really good stuff for your pets but I always look at it this way: how much am I saving in vet bills, medication, and added supplements by feeding the best for my animals? It's totally worth it when all is said and done.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hey there! Thanks for the reply! Well currently my dogs and cat are on Orijen food. This food is grain free and it's free of anything artificial. I love it and the dogs cannot get enough of it. It's about $55 a 30lb bag but it's cheaper then innova or some of the other brands. I am extremely happy with this food and it will help from triggering my dogs cancer again. It's a win win in my book. I don't want her to go through that again. Thanks for the reply!

-Jenn-

·
Registered
3,550 Posts
That is a very good dog food. I'm a big proponent of natural diets for dogs. I prefer raw feeding for dogs, and I think it is the most ideal diet, but a natural kibble made with good ingredients is also an option for healthy dogs. My dogs are on Natural Choice and Wellness right now, and they've done great on it, but I know they could do better so I'm switching them to raw as soon as their kibble runs out.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I would love to feed raw! It's about $100 a week if I did that though...lol. Maybe one day...they do get marrow bones and raw meat once or twice a week.

·
Registered
3,550 Posts
Aw yes the 80 lbs dogs would certainly be a hindrance in that department! I have a 70 lbs old lady dog, a 50 lbs lab/pit, and a 27 lbs corgi/beagle/heeler so they only need about a pound or two of meat each per day so it won't be nearly as pricey. And my cat's not too much of an eater, so she should also be relatively inexpensive to feed.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts