Dog Food Chat banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My name is Shannon. I am very new to RAW Diet. I have had some great supporters on another forum that I belong to. They suggested I join here to get help, ideas, and support. I am happy to be here. I just started RAW last Thursday and have already been ready to give up...my supporters have encouraged me to keep going. They have shared their ups & downs from when they first started and it really has helped me. I sure hope I can get through this and that my dogs adapt. I can honestly say that so far I have been nothing but DIScouraged

·
Registered
115 Posts
WHY are you discouraged, Shannon?

·
Registered
5,009 Posts
Welcome to the forum.

Could you please explain to us what you've fed so far, and what your experience has been so that we can help get your pups on track and make this a better overall experience for you?

·
Registered
148 Posts
Welcome to the forum L&GM. You will find here all the encouragement and help you need to stay the course while transitioning to PMR. There is alot of information on this board and plenty of helpful people. Be sure to post any questions/concerns that you may have. Again, welcome!!

·
Registered
4,419 Posts
Hey Shannon,
What kind of dog do you have? What is his age and size? EXACTLY what and how much have you fed him so far? Tell us eveything that you have fed. Are you still feeding kibble? How many meals a day? What is happening that is discouraging you?

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well...I started to feed RAW this past Thursday. I have gotten lot's of help from jdatwood and his girlfriend. They have been great help so far. Luke is a 17wk old puppy Great Dane, Gracie is a 5 1/2 year old Boxer. According to the 10% for a puppy and the 2-3% for a grown dog, Luke should be getting about 4.5lb per day, and Gracie about 2lbs a day. Their first feeding on Thursday evening I gave them each two chicken backs. Friday Luke had a total of 4 chicken backs and Gracie had 3. Saturday, Gracie had a total of 5 and Luke had a total of 9. Because according the the 10% for Luke he would need 15 CB per day and Gracie would need about 7. I am starting on CB and then planned on adding in chicken quarters on Monday. BUT....starting Saturday early evening BOTH of them started having explosive poo's. It's terrible. It was like nothing but fluid coming out of them. This has really discouraged me a great deal. BUT with the support and encouragement of Jon and his girlfriend and a few others on another forum, I am hanging in there. I have not fed either of them anything since about 6:30 last night. I cut all of the fat off of the chicken backs and I just fed Luke 2 and Grace 1. I am going to move a bit slower and see how that goes. Any suggestions? Thanks you all for listening.

-Shannon

·
Registered
5,009 Posts
Luke is a 17wk old puppy Great Dane, Gracie is a 5 1/2 year old Boxer.
A Boxer and a Dane... what a fantastic duo.:tongue:

According to the 10% for a puppy and the 2-3% for a grown dog, Luke should be getting about 4.5lb per day, and Gracie about 2lbs a day.
This is moreso a rule of thumb, but you'll want to start out small anyway. I'd recommend fasting them both for 24 hours, and starting out small. I follow tthe 2-3% of their ideal adult body weight from puppyhood through adult life. You may want to calculate that and see where that puts you. You *may* be overfeeding.

It hasn't been much time yet, I would really just hang in there, Keep removing skin and fat, and feeding bone inclusive meals of chicken only. Backs are perfect. Give it at least a couple weeks.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
A Boxer and a Dane... what a fantastic duo.:tongue:

This is moreso a rule of thumb, but you'll want to start out small anyway. I'd recommend fasting them both for 24 hours, and starting out small. I follow tthe 2-3% of their ideal adult body weight from puppyhood through adult life. You may want to calculate that and see where that puts you. You *may* be overfeeding.

It hasn't been much time yet, I would really just hang in there, Keep removing skin and fat, and feeding bone inclusive meals of chicken only. Backs are perfect. Give it at least a couple weeks.
Well Luke is 45lbs and I am thinking he will be in around 150lbs or so as an adult, so that would be 4.5lbs per day. Gracie is 58lbs so that is a bit less than 2lbs per day.

I just fed Luke 2 CB and Gracie 1 CB. I will feed Luke 2 at breakfast and 2 at dinner tomorrow and I will feed Grace 1 at Breakfast and 1 at dinner. I am so scared they are going to get the runs again. I want to make sure to do this right. Also, I have trimmed all of the fat off of the CB for the next few days.

·
Registered
5,009 Posts
Well Luke is 45lbs and I am thinking he will be in around 150lbs or so as an adult, so that would be 4.5lbs per day. Gracie is 58lbs so that is a bit less than 2lbs per day.

I just fed Luke 2 CB and Gracie 1 CB. I will feed Luke 2 at breakfast and 2 at dinner tomorrow and I will feed Grace 1 at Breakfast and 1 at dinner. I am so scared they are going to get the runs again. I want to make sure to do this right. Also, I have trimmed all of the fat off of the CB for the next few days.
Just try to be patient, some dogs do take a while to adjust. Boxers also can be very sensitive to overfeeding, so it's important to start small.
I strongly advise a 24 hour fast, though, before giving any food.

·
Registered
4,419 Posts

OK, let's back up a little bit. Pups should be fed 10% of their body weight UNTIL 10% is greater than 2% to 3% of their ideal adult weight. When starting raw feeding its better to start on the low side so 2% should be your amount for the Dane now. 2% of 150 is 3lbs/day. 2% of 58 is a little over a pound a day.

One of the main causes of soft or runny or watery stools is over feeding. I suggest cutting off the skin/excess fat and feeding about half what you are feeding now spread over 2 meals a day. That would be two meals of 3 backs each for the Dane and 1 back in the morning and 1 in the evening for the boxer. After fasting for 24 hours and feeding this amount of skinned/defatted backs, your dogs should have solid stools pretty quickly. :smile:

Once they have a few days of solid stools, you can add some chicken leg quarters to their diet. You should be able to stop skinning and trimming fat in a week or so also.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
OK, let's back up a little bit. Pups should be fed 10% of their body weight UNTIL 10% is greater than 2% to 3% of their ideal adult weight. When starting raw feeding its better to start on the low side so 2% should be your amount for the Dane now. 2% of 150 is 3lbs/day. 2% of 58 is a little over a pound a day.

One of the main causes of soft or runny or watery stools is over feeding. I suggest cutting off the skin/excess fat and feeding about half what you are feeding now spread over 2 meals a day. That would be two meals of 3 backs each for the Dane and 1 back in the morning and 1 in the evening for the boxer. After fasting for 24 hours and feeding this amount of skinned/defatted backs, your dogs should have solid stools pretty quickly. :smile:

Once they have a few days of solid stools, you can add some chicken leg quarters to their diet. You should be able to stop skinning and trimming fat in a week or so also.
Thank you so much for the information. I was actually using the 3% rule of thumb but the 2% sounds better to me. I feel like the 3% seemed like so much. Also, I was told that 10% of what a puppy's weight is when you start him on RAW is what you should feed from puppyhood up through adult. That is where I was getting that number from. He is about 45lbs now.

Fingers crossed that it works out. I am going to follow exactly what you wrote above. It's kind of what I planned. Also, I have defatted enough backs for the next couple days, I will defat as I thaw for the future meals until their stools are better. Thanks again for your help!

·
Registered
10,780 Posts
the other thing about dogs who get the runs in the beginning and believe me, i am expert on the squirts...both of my dogs almost didn't stay on raw because of it...

but jdatwood and RawFedDogs are tellin' you true...

1. underfeed by a little rather than overfeed. their digestive systems have to adapt to a whole new way of life
2. if there are any organs on the backs, see if you can clean them, too....they're not ready for organs nor will they be for a while..

they won't starve. they'll just act like it....

hang in there..this too shall pass...and try to breathe...if they sense your tension, they'll be tense and that can also contribute to their poo....it will all work itself out....

i did everything wrong and my guys are doing great. now. with a LOT of help. you're gonna love this forum.

·
Registered
184 Posts
Welcome L&GM!

I hope you are able to stick it out and your dogs no longer have the hershey squirts. :wink:

I agree that you should stick with 2% of their body weight to at least get them use to raw. My girl Hannah is 70 pounds and I feed her about 2 pounds a day. She's extremely active but still is at a good weight with that much food.

Good luck!

·
Registered
222 Posts
All of us have been there one way or another starting out. Your dogs will have to adjust, but be patient and with all the support you have here you will be fine. There are several true experts here, who will talk you through any problems you have. Please just don't give up! Give your dogs a chance to adjust. We are glad you are here!:smile:

1 - 17 of 17 Posts