Dog Food Chat banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone.
Dh and I have 2 boxers, one with food issues. We have had to feed her expensive foods to keep her poo to the soft baby food level - otherwise it was liquid (great into don't ya think?) After reading on another forum about feeding raw, I mentioned it to DH, who immediately said SURE go for it. We started with raw chicken 3 days ago, and the girls love it. Maggie's poo is now firm, her vomiting has decreased dramatically (used to be several times a day) but there is a negative - she's always sniffing around wanting more chicken! We've been feeding a chicken hind quarter every morning and evening. Is that enough? They both weight 60 lbs, and Maggie is higher energy than Allie. I'm open to any suggestions, ideas, etc. Thanks for letting us be a part of this forum.

Kristy in NC

·
Registered
105 Posts
Hello and welcome to this forum!! I cannot answer your questions directly as I am new myself, but the people on here are very friendly and helpful! I have three boxers myself! I know if you browse the RAW section there is a ton of info, such as how much to feed (2-3% of adult weight I believe).

My youngest male acts like he is starving as well when I feed him RAW. I think it digests much faster?? My male is VERY active so I am sure I will need to feed him more than the recommended amount. Hopefully we will both figure it out.. :wink:

·
Registered
4,419 Posts
but there is a negative - she's always sniffing around wanting more chicken!
Thats not unusual for a newly switched dog. My dogs always come back to see if there is any more food but accept when they have had all they are going to get.

We've been feeding a chicken hind quarter every morning and evening. Is that enough?
Probably so. Time will tell. You MAY be overfeeding them because thats about what I feed each of my Great Danes at 125+ lbs. If they start getting thin, feed more and vice versa. Let their build tell you if you are feeding enough. Remember thin is healthier than fat. You should see the back couple of ribs, you should see a definite waist line behind the rib cage when viewed from above and you should NOT see hip bone or spine. Follow those rules and you will always be feeding the right amouht. Be aware the right amount will vary from time to time so always be ready to change amounts of food.

They both weight 60 lbs, and Maggie is higher energy than Allie.
It may work out that you feed Maggie more than Allie but time will answer this question. Don't get too hung up on volume right now. :smile:

·
Registered
126 Posts
Welcome, this site has been so helpful for me. I started feeding raw a few months ago. I to also have a Dane, he eats about 5-6lbs a day. Some days he doesn't want to eat as much maybe just a couple pounds so I just pop it back in the fridge. He also had liquid poo while eating kibble, now solids!!!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts