Dog Food Chat banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just started feeding my six month old puppy a raw diet, and I'm unsure as to whether or not I'm giving her enough bone. My understanding is that the diet should contain 10-15% bone, but is that 10-15% actual bone or 10-15% meaty bones like chicken/turkey necks, chicken backs, and other meat/bone parts? I don't want her to be deficient in calcium or anything else that bone and marrow supply.

As of now, she is getting about 80% ground full fat turkey combined with chicken hearts for her 'meat portion', 10% liver, and 10% meaty bones in the form of chicken necks. I also add in a very small touch of some kind of vegetable or fruit, usually frozen peas.

Please Help. Thanks!

·
Registered
297 Posts
Your question may be better suited for the BARF section of this forum as this raw feeding is Prey Model Raw that does not include fruits and vegetables, only animal products.

Anyway, the ratio that you most commonly read about is 80:10:10 which is actually 80% boneless muscle, 10% bone, 5% liver, 5% organ (kidney, pancreas, lung). However, do keep in mind that this is only a suggestion (similar to the feeding guidelines on a bag of kibble). It is not a hardfast way of feeding. Some dogs may require more bone than others. The amount of bone you feed will be decided by the dog's stool at the given point in time.

If his stool is extra soft, you add bone. If his stool is chalky and easily crumbled, you'll lessen the bone and/or add more boneless/organ. You decide how much bone is necessary based on the stool, alone.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts