Dog Food Chat banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have recently switched my 7.5 yr old Golden Retriever with a skin disease (lamellar ichthyosis) from a lifetime of Purina brand kibbles with a mixture of Pedigree or Alpo canned food, to Evo Herring and Salmon with his vets blessing (of course she would have preferred I buy her Hills Science Diet). After several weeks of mixing the old food with the new with added boiled chicken breast and some of the chicken broth, we have gotten to pure Evo and chicken breasts. I noticed last week his stool was very loose, now the last couple of days he has lost his appetite and appears to be constipated.

What can I do to relieve his discomfort and is the change to an high protein, grain free food to much for him to handle at his age??? He does get walked about a mile a day.

Thanks for any suggestions. He is my only child and I only want him to live a long, happy life. I was trying to help his skin condition, and the vet suggested if I switch to premium food to get either fish or duck based food.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Constipated

Took him for a walk, he strained to poop, and nothing came out. He did have a bowel movement tonight when he was walked.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts