Dog Food Chat banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone. I read a few threads here regarding food and I'd like to read more and get some info so I signed up. I have a black and tan American cocker named Brandy that is my best friend. She had a partially torn medial ligament in her rear left leg which occured the week before Halloween. She didn't need surgery according to the vet after examination and xrays. She's back to using all 4 legs now and her gait is imporoving but she had lost some muscle mass due to not using the leg as much in that time.

I also had to put her on a diet, she was 41 lbs, way overweight, and I think I got her down to around 36 lbs now (not sure, have to weigh her soon). I used Wellness Healthy Weight and a small amount of wet food for flavor (about a tablespoon full) and for treats apples and Charlee Bear treats which are 3 calories each. I also mix some carrots and peas in her food as well a few nights a week.

I wanted to switch her to Wellness Core since it is more protien but I was wondering if I should wait until I got her to her desired weight (the vet wants to see her at 29 lbs) or if I should start intruducing it now to help build up her muscle mass in the leg. I live in NJ so it is cold cold cold but when it's sunny and not so bitter I can take her on short walks now to get her started.

She wants to run and jump but she still is recovering so I don't let her. I do want her recovery to continue and give her the best nutrition to keep it going though, and keep her weight under control. She is also on supplements, I give her two Happy Hips chicken and dried apple per day, one in the evening and one in the morning. I may swich back to Gycoflex II but not sure if I'm doing that yet, she's doing well on the Happy Hips. She's also on rymadll to help with the recovery and she does have some arthritis in her back right leg. She will be 7 years old in March.

Thanks for any advice and sorry about the long first post :).

·
Registered
3,266 Posts
Welcome :)

Shes actually more likely to lose weight on higher protein diet because it keeps dogs fuller longer and helps to build muscle mass. The problem with weight control kibble is that in order to cut off the fat, they reduce meat, so its very grainy.
Try wellness core reduced fat.

·
Registered
2,359 Posts
Hi and welcome! Glad to hear your pups on the road to a speedy recovery and wieght loss! My labs have to do the same thing here! My sister had had 3 cocker spaniels and yep they do have a tendency to become overweight! Your doing a great job! I agree with Unos Mom! The weight management Core is a great food! Have fun on the sight! And yes you will learn alot!:wink:

L

·
0 Posts
Welcome to the Forum! My female Shepherd Mix has always had a problem with being overweight, but she is very close to her ideal weight now. I've had to push her off the couch and get her running! She is very sedentary so it takes effort. I feed her a lot less than I feed my very active Lab.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts