Dog Food Chat banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello Everybody,

I have a one year old American Cocker Spaniel. She's a picky eater and does not like to eat only dry food. We're currently feeding her Beneful Healthy Weight with some Beneful wet food mixed in. After doing some research, I'd like to switch her off of Beneful to a natural, healthier option.

Any dry food recommendation would be greatly appreciated. I was thinking Orijen might be a nice choice.

Also, could you please recommend something healthy to mix in with her dry food so that she eats consistently?

Thank you so much,

-Nick

·
Registered
96 Posts
The best thing to do is probably test a few brands and see what's works for you and your dog.I personally feed my dogs Lifes Abundance. After trying a lot of differents foods it works for my animals and for me. Everyone will most likely tell you the brands they prefer you are the one that needs to find the right fit. I get my food from thebetterdogfood.com if you want to research it along with the others that people suggest.

·
Registered
5,009 Posts
Welcome to the Forum, so glad you came to join us!

Beneful is not the best food, as you have already learned, but their marketing sure makes you think it is! Props to you for wanting to learn more about nutrition for your dog. My husband and I are currently looking into a 5 year old rescue American Cocker Spaniel.

There are SO many foods on the market, and most of them would be an upgrade from Beneful.

Orijen would be a great (if not the best!) kibble option for your dog. They make excellent foods, but are very expensive. Acana, also made by the same company, is a slightly more cost effective option.

First and formost, I'll say that variety is key, so look into a few different kibbles to use in a rotation. Orijen, Evo, Wellness CORE, and Nature's Variety Instinct are among the top of the top quality. A transition from a food like Beneful to this kind of quality might be a little hard on the system, but if you take it very slow, you should see it go nicely.

Other great foods are
Fromm
Merrick
Innova
Wellness
Canidae
Kirkland
Taste of the Wild
Blue Buffalo
Solid Gold
Timberwolf

and many many others. Good luck, and let us know what you decide to do!

You'll know if a food settles well by how the stools pass. With any kibble it will take about three months for them to transition and get accustomed to a food. If you're happy with the results, then fantastic. If not, you move onto the next and try again. Kibble is all about trial and error.

Picky eaters are created rather than born. remember that no dog will starve itself in the presence of food. If you really want to use add ins, I strongly suggest using meat. Any kind of meat. Mix it up. Or even egg. Egg is great too.

·
Registered
96 Posts
corgi paws is right trial and error. Just keep in mind to look for signs, excessive scratching, skin irritation. Not all dogs are created equal. That why my allergy child eats the kibble I feed her because that is what works for her may not be considered best food by some but in my eyes for my dog it is because I don't have huge bills from the vet like with other foods I've tried her one. Don't know exactl why it works for her but it does. Hope you find something that works for you and do keep us posted

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
When I fed my guys dry I rotated brands/protein sources frequently. For example one bag would be Wellness Core (fish) then I'd switch to Orijen Regional Red, etc.

I found plain yogurt to be a good 'topper' to get them interested when they weren't too enthusiastic about eating. :)

·
Registered
1,190 Posts
Welcome!
Orijen is a wonderful food, and have had a lot of people hail it's praise; but
I agree with Corgipaws and Dogtrainer1507. You really need to find a food that best suites your dog. You will also need to make the transition very slowly. It is always a good idea to transition from food to food; but again when going from a lower protein source/high filler food, to a higher protein less filler food there tends to be a few more issues with their digestive/intestinal systems. Some of the lower quality food have ingredients to help "firm" up stool. It may take a few weeks to reach the firmness you are use to seeing now.
Once she is transitioned to the higher quality brand of your choice, rotating between types as someone mentioned is much easier.
Pay close attention to any changes in her skin, itchiness/licking at paws. She may have an allergy to one of the ingredients.
I also think the Yogurt topping is a great idea.
Good luck and again welcome!!
As you can see, there are alot of people ready and willing to help with any questions you have!

·
Registered
184 Posts
Ew. Beneful is gross.. glad you're switching! :smile:

Orijen would be a wonderful choice.
I also like these brands:
Wellness - WELLNESS® - Healthy Dog and Cat Food
Solid Gold - http://solidgoldhealth.co/
Taste Of The Wild - Taste of the Wild : Home
About TOTW... don't use the fish formula. It is unknown whether they use ethoxyquin in it or not.

One quick thing - please consider feeding raw. Your dog will benefit greatly. First off it is 100% natural. You can tailor the diet to suit your dog's needs... for example, if your dog was allergic to beef, you could just exclude beef from the diet.
You will make less visits to the vet. Your dog's coat will shine. Her teeth will, too.

I have been raw feeding since November 2008. The outcome has been great.. I haven't had one problem with raw yet!
Rawfeederrs Rock! - Home
Jane Anderson's Raw Learning Site
^^Sites about raw feeding.

·
Banned
1,713 Posts
Ew. Beneful is gross.. glad you're switching! :smile:

Orijen would be a wonderful choice.
I also like these brands:
Wellness - WELLNESS® - Healthy Dog and Cat Food
Solid Gold - http://solidgoldhealth.co/
Taste Of The Wild - Taste of the Wild : Home
About TOTW... don't use the fish formula. It is unknown whether they use ethoxyquin in it or not.

One quick thing - please consider feeding raw. Your dog will benefit greatly. First off it is 100% natural. You can tailor the diet to suit your dog's needs... for example, if your dog was allergic to beef, you could just exclude beef from the diet.
You will make less visits to the vet. Your dog's coat will shine. Her teeth will, too.

I have been raw feeding since November 2008. The outcome has been great.. I haven't had one problem with raw yet!
Rawfeederrs Rock! - Home
Jane Anderson's Raw Learning Site
^^Sites about raw feeding.
get the heck out of here with your raw bs.

·
Registered
96 Posts
That really isn't called for, raw feeders have a right to state their opinion after all that is what it is a choice, giving people options isn't a bad thing, I'm guessing most raw feeders used kibble at one time, just because they don't anymore is besides the point. You don't want to feed raw no one is making you but why make every thread a battle over this. And by the way I feed kibble but I don't see why such a post was necessary if only to start a battle.

·
Registered
1,190 Posts
Really...Been here done that!:eek::eek:

·
Registered
5,009 Posts
This post is in the kibble section, please keep it on topic. If you'd like to suggest raw to the OP, doing so via PM would be a more appropriate route. :biggrin:

·
Banned
1,713 Posts
What's your problem? I just gave a suggestion, damn. 0_0
Raw ISN'T bull s**t either. Kibble is. -_-
this is the KIBBLE forum. if the OP was interested in feeding RAW they would ask about it in the easy to see RRAW Forums right below this onme.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Yes I've noticed a lot of passionate people on here and have come to appreciate them. Everyone has to remember they make their own choices for their animals. Doesn't make anyone elses choices right or wrong but everyone has a lot of good information. And I appreciate everyones feed back.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts