Dog Food Chat banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello!

My family and I are the guardian home for an eight-week-old pure breed Bernese Mountain Dog.
The breeder of the dog wants us to put her on a raw dog food diet, but I don't know where to start.

Any advice and tips would be so helpful!

Thank you!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Raw feeding will be the best thing you ever do for your dog! So, there are a couple of routes you can go. You can do your own shopping in the grocery store, or you can look for a co-op or another type of provider. The only provider in my area offers 2lb or 5lb chubs of pre-ground food that is the 80/10/10 ratio. That's 80% muscle meat, 10% organ meat and 10% bone. It's important that they get all three categories...meat alone won't give all the necessary nutrients. Many people also give small amounts of fruits and vegetables. Some vegetables must be chopped fine or cooked for the dog to be able to digest them properly. I suggest my favorite resource to you: YouTube. There are many videos on the topic of raw feeding. One of my favorites is the channel 1st508th Airborne. He has been raw feeding for 20 years and he provides links in his videos to different resources, including a calculator to determine the amount you should be feeding. He also shows how he introduces puppies to raw. Take one look at his dogs and you'll see just how awesome raw diets are! My two started late in life but I've seen such a change, especially in my 11 year old. Raw feeding cured a lot of problems he was having and he's like a new dog. The next puppy I have will be raw fed from day one.

·
Registered
2 Posts
If you are in or around Massachusetts, there is a great small company, Zuco Pets where I get my dog food from. They will work with you to learn about your dog and setup a meal plan where they pre-portion each meal and even label it with your dog's name.
My wife an I love it because we dont have to touch the meat and its the portion control helps with weight management.

Buy if you are looking for DIY solutions, marmitenot is right, YouTube will be the best way to start, Just remember, just like marmitenot mentioned, there is more to it it than just just meat and bones.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts