Dog Food Chat banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
696 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
New questions, lol!
Fish oil
I noticed a lot of raw feeders, feed fish oil to make up for a lack of Omega 3s in the diet. If not feeding fish regularly, is fish oil necessary in the diet?

Fasting
I also saw a lot of people fast for 1 day a week. What is the reasoning behind this?

·
Registered
995 Posts
Grass fed meats also have Omega-3s. I used to give salmon oil regularly when I fed kibble, but now I just give some canned salmon every week or two, buy grass fed meats if I can find them or if they are at a good price, and give some salmon oil when I remember to (which lately, has been never :heh:).

·
Registered
1,885 Posts
New questions, lol!
Fish oil
I noticed a lot of raw feeders, feed fish oil to make up for a lack of Omega 3s in the diet. If not feeding fish regularly, is fish oil necessary in the diet?
Omega 3's are (I think) essential to the diet. Fish oil isn't necessary if you are feeding fish and/or grass feed meat (beef, venison, etc.) regularly.

Fasting
I also saw a lot of people fast for 1 day a week. What is the reasoning behind this?
Wild dogs naturally gorge and fast. THey kill something, eat until they cannot eat anymore, then have to wait until their next kill in order to eat again. SO gorging and fasting your dog periodically mimics their natural way of eating. Most dogs are perfectly fine going stretches without eating.

A really big plus to gorge/fast is that you can feed a really huuuuge meal such as a whole small animal, or a bigger parts of a large animal that would be a pain to portion out in daily rations. My favorite example is the whole rib cage that Danemama08 & jdatwood's pack worked on for a while. :hungry:

ETA: Ah ha!! Here's the pics of Jon & Nat's gorge fest:http://dogfoodchat.com/forum/pictures/4836-early-bird-gets.html

·
Registered
696 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Omega 3's are (I think) essential to the diet. Fish oil isn't necessary if you are feeding fish and/or grass feed meat (beef, venison, etc.) regularly.

Wild dogs naturally gorge and fast. THey kill something, eat until they cannot eat anymore, then have to wait until their next kill in order to eat again. SO gorging and fasting your dog periodically mimics their natural way of eating. Most dogs are perfectly fine going stretches without eating.

A really big plus to gorge/fast is that you can feed a really huuuuge meal such as a whole small animal, or a bigger parts of a large animal that would be a pain to portion out in daily rations. My favorite example is the whole rib cage that Danemama08 & jdatwood's pack worked on for a while. :hungry:
So, if you fast, you need to feed more? (Which makes sense but I hadn't read it before, LOL!)

Also, stupid question, but how do you know if your beef is grass fed or grain? Does the package say?

Grass fed meats also have Omega-3s. I used to give salmon oil regularly when I fed kibble, but now I just give some canned salmon every week or two, buy grass fed meats if I can find them or if they are at a good price, and give some salmon oil when I remember to (which lately, has been never :heh:).
Is salmon the best fish to give or will other fish work just as well?

·
Registered
1,885 Posts
So, if you fast, you need to feed more? (Which makes sense but I hadn't read it before, LOL!)
Yes. You're not really "skipping" a meal. You're just eating one (or two) days worth of food all at once.

Also, stupid question, but how do you know if your beef is grass fed or grain? Does the package say?
I would think it would say so. That's great for marketing. ALso, they can jack up the price that way.:wof:

Is salmon the best fish to give or will other fish work just as well?
I think most any fish would be fine.

·
Registered
995 Posts
You can feed other fish, some just have higher levels of Omega-3s than others, especially fattier fish:

Omega-3 Fatty Acids--Fish and Seafood Values, Nutritional Chart

Not sure how accurate the site is, but the list gives you an idea. Mackerel, sardines, and salmon are some of the higher level fish which are easily available fresh or canned. I like feeding canned fish on days I forget to thaw things out. Quite convenient :biggrin:

·
Registered
696 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yes. You're not really "skipping" a meal. You're just eating one (or two) days worth of food all at once.
One last question: if you plan on fasting, should you start as soon as you switch to raw? Or should you wait until the dog is already well-transitioned?

You can feed other fish, some just have higher levels of Omega-3s than others, especially fattier fish:

Omega-3 Fatty Acids--Fish and Seafood Values, Nutritional Chart

Not sure how accurate the site is, but the list gives you an idea. Mackerel, sardines, and salmon are some of the higher level fish which are easily available fresh or canned. I like feeding canned fish on days I forget to thaw things out. Quite convenient :biggrin:
Thanks for the link! I'd much rather feed fish than have to supp :biggrin1:

·
Registered
1,885 Posts
One last question: if you plan on fasting, should you start as soon as you switch to raw? Or should you wait until the dog is already well-transitioned?
I would fast the day BEFORE you start raw. Get all the icky kibble out of their system.

But I wouldn't do a gorge/fast until you are fully transitioned. Feeding a ton of food in one sitting for a newly transitioned dog is just asking for cannon butt.

·
Premium Member
4,271 Posts
New questions, lol!
Fish oil

Fasting
My reasoning, is other than it is an important part of the diet, I give it for their skin/coat. It gives an extra "kick" to the shine!:clap2:

·
Registered
820 Posts
Being that your pup is still (a pup) quite young I would not be deliberately fasting until he is a least 12 months old. I moved my pup to single feeds when she was 6 - 7 months but won't be starting the fasting for another few.

·
Registered
10,780 Posts
even though my dogs eat fish and do get grass fed/grass finished beef fairly often, i give them salmon oil gel caps...because i do not feed them salmon.

i live in the pacific northwest and there is a parasite that can kill dogs....the debate is ongoing as to whether or not freezing kills the parasite....so, i cook the fish and i eat it : )

they get sardines, anchovies, and smelt....and when the debate over alaskan/pacific northwest salmon is decided...then i'll decide...

otherwise, i don't think it hurts and i do believe it helps their coats..

·
Registered
659 Posts
Max currently gets a goodly amount of ground up sardines a couple times a week. Beef and lamb tend to have a pretty good omega 3:6 balance as they are usually partly grass fed and chicken and pork have pretty bad ones due to the grainy diet they are fed from day one.

I don't worry about which fish is optimal. Salmon, sardine, mackerel, herring, anchovy all have a goodly amounts of omega 3 and are pretty low in mercury. Even if salmon is twice as good as the others it cost a lot more than twice as much.

I worked Max up to gorge but don't fast him. He just gets smaller meals for days after. If you just plop something big they will over eat. If the gorge is really hard to eat maybe it would work though. Those llama heads were very difficult for Max to get anything off. After my thoughtitwasbonyporkbutitwasbonelessostrich fail where dainty Max got [gasp] gas he won't eat more than about 2x his usual where a real gorge might be 5x the usual so not sure about that.

·
Registered
10,780 Posts
sassy...the only reason i don't gorge the pug is i watched him eat an entire cornish hen, which weighed 22 oz....before i could get to him to pull it. a meal for him for an entire day is only 6 oz...

this dog doesn't eat....he inhales. remember the blueberry girl in willie wonka and the chocolate factory? that's what bubba would look like....

since then, i've not done it, although i'd love to let them eat as much as they want..and since i'm not crazy about fasting....feeding less suits me better..

how did you work max up to gorging?

·
Registered
659 Posts
I fed bigger/smaller. I still do most of the time, he gets 1.2-1.6x bony/organy meals and .6-8x meaty meals on alternate days. Sometimes the bigger meals are complicated like pork neck, sometimes they are just big bit of this, bit of that meals.

Once 1.2x alternating with .8x is fine with the gut move to 1.4x and .6x and feed for a while. After Max was eating 2x his usual I was able to let him just eat something hard to eat like a pork neck bone or pork shoulder bit and he would -stop- eating even though there was still bone in front of him. I was reluctant to try beef ribs as he was attempting to mow through them the way he ate pork ribs his first year on raw but they are now a good big meal for him. I throw away a good deal of bone, he isn't eating 16 ounces of 50% bone pork neck or beef ribs!!!

You don't have to feed really challenging meals when you are working up but at about 2x you probably will want to feed somewhat harder bits like turkey rather than chicken so maybe he starts to think about how good his tummy feels rather then get this stuff inside before somebody else gets it.

I like my dogs to be food motivated but acting so desperate isn't much fun. Sassy was one who was desperate, too bad she didn't get to gorge with my okay. She gorged plenty of times on garbage and pantry raids though!

·
Registered
10,780 Posts
you're doing once a day, right? about what time of day do you feed max?

i think malia would be fine...she's a methodical, calculating eater...

it's bubba...he only crunches because he finally got tired of horking....: )

that's why i'd love to give him a goat haunch....can't very well swallow THAT whole LOL

1 - 17 of 17 Posts