Dog Food Chat banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Wayne surprised me yesterday with an Australian Shepherd puppy! I was so shocked, and not quite prepared for starting a puppy on raw but here is what I am doing. I cut up a chicken breast for each meal into small enough pieces that she can handle them. She is getting the hang of it now so when Wayne gets home I will have him use a hammer on a chicken leg for some bone. Her poops have already gotten mushy. So, am I going about it right? And no organs for a couple of months, right? By the way, her name is Copper and she's 9 weeks. Sorry if this dosn't make sense, I'm just excited!

·
Registered
4,419 Posts
Her stools are probably mushy bacause of lack of bone. Don't worry. It will all be ok. You are doing fine. :smile:

With a brand new puppy you shouldn't have to wait a couple of months on organs. Maybe a few weeks. Of course you will introduce them slowly.

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks RFD! Her poops were good before the raw, and since she had a couple of meals with no bone I'm sure thats the reason also. We used a hammer on a chicken leg this afternoon and it took her some time to to get it but shortly after she was crunching away. I don't know if she has gotten enough bone yet to firm the stools but she is on her way! I will wait about two weeks to introduce the organs. Will that be ok? And yes, just a small amount at a time to start.

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Just an update on Copper and her raw feeding. She has taken off!!! No more crunching bones up. She is going through on average about six drumsticks a day, and she does all the crunching. Twice a week she is getting one raw egg with a small amount of fish oil. I do wish she would gain a little weight though, she feels a little boney under all her fur. Her stools are just fine and her energy level is sky high! She's into everything! I'm going to give it about another week and I'll start her on some liver.

·
Banned
70 Posts
Just an update on Copper and her raw feeding. She has taken off!!! No more crunching bones up. She is going through on average about six drumsticks a day, and she does all the crunching. Twice a week she is getting one raw egg with a small amount of fish oil. I do wish she would gain a little weight though, she feels a little boney under all her fur. Her stools are just fine and her energy level is sky high! She's into everything! I'm going to give it about another week and I'll start her on some liver.
No disrespect intended, but if you want to feed a young puppy raw thats great but get a complete, balanced product. You clearly don't have enough background or expertise to feed a puppy a raw diet. The money you are spending buying chicken at the grocery store is just making you poorer and the puppy malnourished

I wish your puppy luck though. I will say a prayer.

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
No disrespect intended, but if you want to feed a young puppy raw thats great but get a complete, balanced product. You clearly don't have enough background or expertise to feed a puppy a raw diet. The money you are spending buying chicken at the grocery store is just making you poorer and the puppy malnourished

Thats why I get my advice and support from everyone OTHER than you.

·
Registered
10,128 Posts

I'd really appreciate it if you'd not post like this in the raw forum. You obviously don't have the grounds to speak here so keep your hurtful posts off of the entire forum, the rules here are very simple. You are more than welcome to add to a thread if you have something useful to say but otherwise youre just digging the hole deeper.

Thats why I get my advice and support from everyone OTHER than you.
Im so glad that you can see how unexperienced and lacking in knowledge wrangler1 is, not like it's hard since he/she admits to knowing nothing of raw. Most of what he says is from fear and misinformation. Keep up the wonderful work with that sweet little pup of yours! Post up lots of pictures!!! :wink:

·
Registered
4,419 Posts
I do wish she would gain a little weight though, she feels a little boney under all her fur. Her stools are just fine and her energy level is sky high! She's into everything! I'm going to give it about another week and I'll start her on some liver.
Don't worry a lot about her gaining weight. She should feel a little boney. Thin is healthier than fat and if you're not careful she is likely to get fat. Feed her the proper amount and she will develop the right build.

I think I would add a different protein source assuming her stools are firm now. I suggest pork at this stage. Maybe some ribs. If she eats a couple of meals of that and stools are OK, THEN add A LITTLE liver to the diet maybe once a week or so. You don't want to add pork and liver at the same time because if digestive problems exist, you won't know which caused it.

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks RFD. I will get some pork when I am getting groceries this weekend. She seems to be adjusting to raw really well. I am getting liver for everyone else, but I will hold off on starting copper on any. (until I see her poops).

1 - 11 of 11 Posts