Dog Food Chat banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Lola has finally arrived! She and Tiki get along like gangbusters! Now my sleepy new baby is napping on my lap :smile:

Now it's time to get her switched to raw. Tiki's been getting whatever meat I get on sale at the store (usually beef and pork) or whatever comes out when I clean out my freezer (not many dogs get $15/lb king salmon for dinner :wink: ) so I'd like to get Lola off kibble and eating meat too.

With Tiki I switched her pretty suddenly, long story, and she's been doing great, but she's also 8 months old so that might have made the sudden transition easier. Lola is only 8 weeks so I figured I should make it a little more of a transition, though I don't want it to take months.

What's the best way to get her eating the same food as Tiki? Should I just start adding meat to her kibble (the breeder gave me some) and eventually reduce the kibble/up the meat?

Anything else I should know with starting a brand new one on raw?

·
Registered
4,419 Posts
Give her a chicken wing and see what she does. She may play with it a while or she may just jump in and start eating. If she has trouble with the bone, next meal hit it with a hammer to smash the bone a some to help her eat it. I would feed her only chicken for a few days then add in some other stuff a few day apart. It shouldn't take long for her to adapt since she never really adapted to kibble.

·
Registered
216 Posts
She needs bone too. Thats why I suggested chicken wings. They have small easy to eat bones. Yes, if she eats enough raw, she won't need kibble. She definately need bone in her diet.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts