Dog Food Chat banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

I'm new to dog food chat. I hope someone can help me. We have two springer spaniels, female 11 years old (Sophie) and a male (Bernie)who is 7. Both are neutered and both get along with each other beautifully. The problem is that we are looking after our son's springer spaniel puppy, 7 months old (Boone).

Recently we have noticed urine spots on the carpet. We THINK out 7 year old male, Bernie is upset having Boone invade his space. I have not witnessed Bernie peeing on the carpet. My wife says he looks/acts guilty. Has anyone experienced behavior problems when a puppy is introduced in the house?

Thank you,
Two Springers

·
Premium Member
4,271 Posts
Welcome! I have heard of that sort of behavior before, but never experianced it myself. It sounds like a dominance/territorial type deal possibly.

·
Registered
1,215 Posts
Are you certain it's not the puppy making the mess and your older dog is "expecting" to get in trouble because he "knows" that's bad? We had a elderly dog who would look upset when one of the pups mad a "mes" . All hunched up (he was never punished for it when he was being trained, he just always did this) and would slink away. If we hadn't seen the pup doing it, and his reaction on the first accident, we probably would have been wondering about the old man. Otherwise, maybe give your pup a personal "room" where the puppy isn't allowed to go with his favorite things inside (besides his crate, if he has one).

Reactions: MollyWoppy

·
Registered
239 Posts
Clean it out with an enzyme based cleaner to remove the odor that would keep anyone from marking. Make sure you train the pup and see if the other dogs are really the ones messing.

·
Registered
1,291 Posts
I had that happen when I was younger. We basically had to go through complete potty training with boh dogs at the same time. While it may just be the younger dog in this case, it can never hurt to retrain the older one too.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Pee issue - our own dog

Well folks, we now have identified the dog who has peed on our furniture.
Bernie, our 7 year old Springer Spaniel. It was NOT the puppy after all. My wife caught Bernie in the act.
My own dog, who has never shown any behavioral issues is now acting up.
Need your advice- should we continue to care for our son's puppy?

·
Registered
927 Posts
Is peeing the worse thing he is doing? How long has the pup been there? Can you take Berine and the new puppy on walks together? I've noticed that walks make for some great bonding times.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts