Dog Food Chat banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hello all I am a new pet owner of a rescued dog from a local shelter. I am trying to do my research in regards to the best nutrition possible. I have a 1 year old lab/pit mix. I am thinking of feeding it EVO... (should i do the small bites or large bites? I was thinking large)... I need some advice here. Also, what type of chews should I get for the dog? Any advice at this point would be greatly helpful, as I still have a week unti lI can pick him up.

·
Registered
3,550 Posts
I would say the EVO large bites would be better than the small bites (unless he's one of those dogs with a weird preference to smaller kibble). As far as chews go, get him raw bones like marrow bones and soup bones from your local grocery store or doggy boutique. Also try the black Kongs, you can fill them with peanut butter and treats, and keeps him occupied for a long time.

·
Registered
628 Posts
I agree with the above, I would also add in non edible Nylabones as well as Hurley bones and my dogs love the wobbly nobblys made by Multipet and their tire made by Paw tracks.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Large kibbles I'd say. Raw meaty bones are a must. Pop over to the raw feeding forum for all the info you'll need. You can stuff a raw chicken wing into a black kong. Break off the wing tip & force the other 2 joints into the kong pointy end 1st.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hello,
I'd like to offer a bit of advice.It is best to feed your dog a combination of canned and dry food mixed together with your hands and not a sppon, why? Because building an emotional bond with your dog is essential.If the food you are giving him has been mixed with your own hands, it will have your scent in it. This is an important signal to the dog that you are providing this nurishing delicious meal.When buying food always check ingredience.Make sure it says meat and meat solids first and other meal and grains after.
Super Health Tip: Mix two teaspoons of RAW APPLE CIDER VINAGER in your dog's water bowl.This provides impoetant enzymes,potassium etc for good health!
Good Luch,
Traditional Naturopath
(Practioner of Natural Medicine)

·
Registered
10,128 Posts
Hello,
I'd like to offer a bit of advice.It is best to feed your dog a combination of canned and dry food mixed together with your hands and not a sppon, why? Because building an emotional bond with your dog is essential.If the food you are giving him has been mixed with your own hands, it will have your scent in it. This is an important signal to the dog that you are providing this nurishing delicious meal.When buying food always check ingredience.Make sure it says meat and meat solids first and other meal and grains after.
Super Health Tip: Mix two teaspoons of RAW APPLE CIDER VINAGER in your dog's water bowl.This provides impoetant enzymes,potassium etc for good health!
Good Luch,
Traditional Naturopath
(Practioner of Natural Medicine)
Ingredients are listed by order of weight before processing. Fresh meat is listed in the ingredients first because it is full of water. Once the fresh meat is processed into kibble, the content of fresh meat is relatively low. What you should look for is a food that has a named meat meal, such as chicken or lamb meal, as the first ingredient, if not only one more than one is good as well (unless you have a allergy pet). This named meat meal is the main source of protein in the food and there for should be first on the list. As stated many other times you should go to www.dogfoodanalysis.com for more info!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts