Dog Food Chat banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi. I have a cavalier King Charles that was eating Diamond adult dog food when I got her but have been transitioning her to eating Chicken soup for the puppies soul based on a professionals suggestion. For the last few days she has started pooping alot more and it has the worst smell that seems to linger even after we clean it up! She also seems to have "allergies". She doesnt have fleas but she itches all the time. I have taken her to two vets in the two weeks I have had her and they say she is in perfect health. One did recommend I give her a 1/2 a allergy med if she seems uncomfortable, which I do occasionally. But I guess the main problem I have is the terrible smelling poop and the frequency. Is this what I should expect if she stays on this dog food? I need all the help I can get so I look forward to any advice. Thanks!

·
Registered
84 Posts
did the itching all start when u switched the food? that could be the cause of itching(she could be allergic to an ingredient). as far as the smelly poop it could very well be the new food.how long has she been on this new food? she might need to adjust but if its been awhile i would think about switching.(make sure you mix the old food in slowly with the new food for wk or 2). was there a reason you switched her from the the food she was on? if she was doing fine on that,just do some research on it and keep her on that one.im in the process of researching dog foods as well and have my puppy on innova

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The itching started getting worse.I have been transitioning Chicken Soup sin ce last Wednesday. I was reading up on Nature's variety raw frozen foods and tho it is pretty expensive, I may give it a try. Any one have any experience with it?

·
Registered
5,009 Posts
For the last few days she has started pooping alot more and it has the worst smell that seems to linger even after we clean it up!
This is actually a very common thing for ANY transition, and I wouldn't think much of it. Symptoms during transition aren't a reliable indicator of how your dog will do on the new food.

She also seems to have "allergies". She doesnt have fleas but she itches all the time. I have taken her to two vets in the two weeks I have had her and they say she is in perfect health.
How long was she on the old food, and how long since you pet her on the new? Generally mild allergies related to diet can take a while to show. (these sound mild, not severe) Also, if you've only had her for two weeks, it could be a nervous habit part of the adjustment period of a new home. That being said, it could be a food allergy, but unless she's been on the new food for any length of time, hold off on placing the blame.

Grain free foods, and limited ingredient foods CAN help with allergies, but really the only way t sory out food allergies, and not just mask them, is to do a home prepared diet, with only one protein source to start, and adding one ingredient every couple weeks.

·
Registered
5,009 Posts
The itching started getting worse.I have been transitioning Chicken Soup sin ce last Wednesday. I was reading up on Nature's variety raw frozen foods and tho it is pretty expensive, I may give it a try. Any one have any experience with it?
Pre packaged raw diets are incredibly expensive and still have a ton of unnecessary ingredients in them. Raw is an EXCELLENT way to go, but there are far superior ways of doing it for much much MUCH less money that NV raw.
Since this is the kibble section, I'll leave it at that, but do feel free to post questions about raw food in the raw section of the forum. I highly encourage you to check it out.:wink:

·
Registered
127 Posts
King charles are known to have their own set of skin allergies, i agree with what CorgiPaws mentioned about the nervous habit of being in a new home. my GF has cockers, they also have skin allergies, we switched over to a fish based food, orijen 6 fish, and the cockers coat became to silky and shiny we never saw the dandruf, hot spots again!

·
Registered
329 Posts
Chicken Soup is made by Diamond and has almost the same ingredients and breakdown.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts