Dog Food Chat banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
3,266 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It doesent bother me, since they sell raw food, things like that can happen, I believe it was due to the food thawed out during transport. It had nothing to do with the quality of the food.
Meals.. again, all foods have them, its just concentrated protein.

·
Banned
1,713 Posts
hmm i wonder what the ingridients are. if its like evo herring ill switch. dont know where icould buy it though. never heard of natures variety.

·
Registered
438 Posts
Did you know there was a recall on one of their products: http://www.naturesvariety.com/news/33

Also, not to play Devil's Advocate, but the meat sources in their kibbles are all meal: Instinct: Grain-Free Kibble Diets for Dogs | Nature's Variety

:frown:

reality is thats the only way any meat product will make up much of the food. otherwise manufacturers would charge $120 for a 30 lb bag. this is being discussed in the P&G thread. named meat meals are always going to make up a very high percentage of the meat product in any kibble claiming high meat content.

there is no way to avoid this in a kibble. it is not ideal, which is why i add fresh meats to my dogs diet.

·
Registered
127 Posts
When a company sends out a recal on their dry kibble, that is when it worries me, but since it was on their raw formulas it doesnt concern me either. Not sure what stores will carry it but i expect the all natural online stores will carry it such as heartypet, naturalk9supplies.com, pfd. funny though all these manufacturers are following the Orijen and Acana branding of putting the percentages of the meats vs veggies vs grain on the front hehe, doesnt that look familiar?

·
Registered
74 Posts
My girl did really well on this for a while. Not the Salmon obviosly lol but I fed the turkey and duck instinct formula. But we moved and I couldn't find it locally... go figure *sigh* oh well.

·
Registered
1,171 Posts
reality is thats the only way any meat product will make up much of the food. otherwise manufacturers would charge $120 for a 30 lb bag. this is being discussed in the P&G thread. named meat meals are always going to make up a very high percentage of the meat product in any kibble claiming high meat content.

there is no way to avoid this in a kibble. it is not ideal, which is why i add fresh meats to my dogs diet.
Not when it's the only meat source. I want to see meat first, THEN the meat meal. Other premium foods like EVO have the named meat source first, then the meat meal.

And please... let's not get into the P&G thing here, ok?

·
Registered
438 Posts
Not when it's the only meat source. I want to see meat first, THEN the meat meal. Other premium foods like EVO have the named meat source first, then the meat meal.

And please... let's not get into the P&G thing here, ok?
thats fine. sure that adds some meat in non meal form to the formula, just not much. the dog is still getting the major bulk of meat from the meal.

personally, id pay quite a bit extra for a manufacturer that had only meat listed first and no meals with the declaration that those are the order of ingredients, by weight, after cooking.

·
Registered
3,266 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Any manufacturer that lists meat as the first ingridient is not entirely truthful due to the water inclusion, because the ingridients are listed based on weight prior to extrusion, so truly the meal usually makes up the bulk of these foods.

·
Registered
10,780 Posts
i think canola oil is, well, not what i would use in a dog food...nor would i feed it to my dogs....nor would i give my pug anything with brewer's yeast....

i don't think they need both potassium chloride AND sea salt.....they are both salts...

what exactly is natural flavour.....it's not defined...

i think it's a lot of meal....and inulin is used to manufacture fructose which is a simple sugar....

i would pass....

35% protein....seems a little high to me...especially considering their choices of protein sources......but that's me

·
Registered
52 Posts
They still outsource their ingredients from China?
It was only the rabbit fomula, and yes I believe they still do. Not sure why though....isn't there enough rabbits here in the states?:confused:

·
Registered
10,780 Posts
It was only the rabbit fomula, and yes I believe they still do. Not sure why though....isn't there enough rabbits here in the states?:confused:
it's strange...tilapia is a farmed fish. the three places it originates is china, phillipines and thailand.

i was told that to farm them here drives the price up too high...

rabbits from china....i'm sure they're just as thumper like as the ones here....but i could have sworn i've read where we are kind of over run with rabbits and squirrels and such.

·
Registered
6 Posts
can you give me the link that shows the rabbit or any of their other meat is outsourced from China?
thanks!

·
Registered
474 Posts
it's strange...tilapia is a farmed fish. the three places it originates is china, phillipines and thailand.

i was told that to farm them here drives the price up too high...

rabbits from china....i'm sure they're just as thumper like as the ones here....but i could have sworn i've read where we are kind of over run with rabbits and squirrels and such.
Tilapia is mentioned in the Bible - Old Testament - harvested and eaten by the Egyptians I think ...

·
Registered
52 Posts

·
Banned
1,713 Posts
thats fine. sure that adds some meat in non meal form to the formula, just not much. the dog is still getting the major bulk of meat from the meal.

personally, id pay quite a bit extra for a manufacturer that had only meat listed first and no meals with the declaration that those are the order of ingredients, by weight, after cooking.
this seems to be how orijens new formula is...only thing is the order of the ingridients is only accurate before cooking...orijens being tricky which is why the protein is dropping.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts