Dog Food Chat banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi I am Don and have 2 german shepherd puppies. I am trying the Royal Canin
baby kibble but they seem to prefer the food for our older dog. I know they have trouble because it is so small that it sticks in their mouth and comes out in the water dish and on the floor. I just put in an order for the Flint River after hearing a lot about it. Any opinions?

Thanks,
Don

·
Registered
1,885 Posts
Hi Don,

Welcome to the forum! There's probably a funny story behind your username, huh? :wink:

I also have a GSD, and Flint River was recommended to me too. I think that Flint River is better than the Royal Canin. But from what I remember, you have to order the FR, right? I think you could find MUCH better food in a pet store. I like Orijen, EVO, and Wellness, and you don't have to pay shipping! :biggrin:

But I pretty much gave up on my kibble research when I decided to switch to a prey model raw diet. If this is something you may be interested in, there is tons of info in the raw section of this forum.

Post some pics of your puppies when you get a chance!!

Richelle

·
Registered
3,550 Posts
Oh yeah FR is way better quality than RC, but there are easier ones to get ahold of as Ania's Mommy said. Feel free to browse and ask any questions, we're always happy to help!

·
Registered
10,128 Posts
I would switch off of RC too...not the best food out there. Much better choices out there.

I will also comment that you choose what your puppies eat, not them. If they don't seem interested in their food and only want to eat the adult food for your other dog, don't give into their whims. Feed them their puppy food and stick with that because you know what's best...not them. But it sounds to me that they may know what their talking about since they are after the FR, since its far superior to the RC :wink: :biggrin:

Don't hesitate to post up about anything! And WELCOME!!!

·
Banned
539 Posts
Get your dogs off RC as soon as you can. For your puppies I recommend

1. Orijen Large breed puppy
2. Horizon Legacy Puppy
2. Merrick Puppy plate
2. Artemis Fresh Mix Med/Large Breed Puppy
2. California Natural
2. Innova large breed puppy

I feed my GSP Orijen and California Natural, but now that he is 8 months old I am trying to phase out Cal Natural for Taste of the Wild, because my dog just loves duck. I also treat him to a little Innova canned large breed puppy.

·
Registered
5,009 Posts
Welcome to the forum, I'm sure you'll find anything and everything you need to know about kibble or raw diets here.
You've already been given some great advice, so I won't reiterate what everyone already said, and I hope you enjoy the forum and stick around. We've got a great community here. Small, but great. :biggrin:

·
Registered
2,359 Posts
Hi and welcome to the forum! Good luck with your kibble search or however you decide to go! :smile:

·
Registered
3 Posts
Native Dog Food

Hi Don. Have you looked into Native Dog food? They have different protein/fat levels based on how active your dogs are. The other nice thing is that it is a Kent Feeds brand (headquarters in Muscatine Iowa) so you will have no problem getting it locally. No corn, no wheat, no soy and no by-products. I believe it retails somewhere around $40/ for a 40# bag.

Check it out at Native Performance Dog Food.

·
Banned
539 Posts
I am not to impressed with this food (first time I've heard of it) my concerns are

No. 1 Chicken fat being the No 2 ingredient is a concern.
No. 2 Beet Plup is very high on the list
No. 3 Ground rice is not a top of the line rice would rather see brown.
No. 4 Fish Meal, I could find nothng on thier site saying they did not use Ethoxyquin.
No 5 I would be concerned that their is only one meat product, but 30% protein.
No. 6 The grains to meat, is to far in favor of grain, almost 3-1, grain heavy.

Chicken Meal, Chicken Fat (Stabilized with Mixed Tocopherols), Ground Rice, Ground Oats, Ground Barley, Beet Pulp, Fish Meal, Ground Flaxseeds, Natural Flavor, Calcium Carbonate, Yeast Culture, Salt, Potassium Chloride, Dried Yeast Fermentation Solubles, Vitamin E Supplement, Taurine, Choline Chloride, Zinc Sulfate, Zinc Proteinate, Vitamin A Supplement, Vitamin D3 Supplement, Niacin Supplement, Ferrous Sulfate, Manganese Sulfate, d-Calcium Pantothenate, Manganese Proteinate, Copper Proteinate, Thiamine Mononitrate, Copper Sulfate, Vitamin B12 Supplement, Riboflavin Supplement, Pyrodoxine Hydrochloride, Calcium Iodate, Folic Acid, Biotin, Selenium Yeast, DL-Methionine, Rosemary Extract, L-Ascorbyl-2-Polyphosphate (Source of Vitamin C).

I am not saying it is a bad food, I just don't put it in the same league as those on my list.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts