Dog Food Chat banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4,655 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
:rolleyes:O.K. we've come to a point where the dogs are getting real bored with just eating chicken for their bone content. Please tell me again what bones are safe for them to actually consume that have meat on it. Please give me a longer list than just a few. Turkey doesn't work real well unless I can find wings, and thats been hard lately. I picked up a turkey wing/drum section, something like that and the ball and bone was so thick the dogs couldn't chew through it, they must give them super steroids or something, that bone could of carried 200#.:eek:

·
Registered
3,550 Posts
Ha and I was gonna suggest turkey drumsticks too! How strange, maybe you just got a super turkey let or something. Anyway, my dogs eat just about any bones i give the, rib bones seem to do quite well for them. So you could do pork ribs, beef ribs, and lamb ribs (they have the easiest time with those). I'm sure if you can find it, do venison ribs too. There's also rabbit, cornish game hen, pheasant, fish, and pork neck bones. That's all I can think of right now.

·
Registered
4,655 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I tried pork necks, but really how safe are they? Remember my female choked on the piece of bone and had to have it pushed through to her stomach, I do believe she might have a little narrowing or something in her throat cause she just can't seem to get things down as easily as she use to.

·
Registered
4,419 Posts
You can feed most any animal part you want to except for legs of very large animals such as cows, buffalo, elk, etc. Don't worry if she doesn't eat all the bone. If she eats half of it, that ok. I feed my cats chicken drumsticks several times a week and they almost always leave one end or the other uneaten. Sometimes they eat all the meat and only a little bone. Sometimes they eat all the bone. If I feed my dogs beef ribs, they will always leave some bone.

If you stop and think about it, 10% bone is very acceptable and 10% bone is not a lot. It's less than 2oz of bone to a pound of meat.

·
Registered
441 Posts
I tried pork necks, but really how safe are they? Remember my female choked on the piece of bone and had to have it pushed through to her stomach, I do believe she might have a little narrowing or something in her throat cause she just can't seem to get things down as easily as she use to.
From one EBT owner to another, Owen seems to be doing well with the rabbit that he has been getting. If you can find it whole or with bone still in it that might work. Good luck on finding things. Do you have a food market around you or a butcher that might be willing to do something like that?? I have also been able to give him some lamb ribs as a meat/bone meal.
Haha, maybe you could let the dogs out in the woods somewhere and have them catch their own dinner once or twice! :biggrin: That would be fun to watch! :) But only if you can trust them to come back! :) Owen won't, so not an option for me. He would catch his dinner and then he would hide till he was done. Then I don't know what he would do! :)

·
Registered
4,655 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Can't trust those bull terriers to come back when their called.:confused: The other day we were out on the logging road and someone's been cutting a new trail, Leo took off after a bird, Cayenne was right behind him, 15 min. later, calling like crazy, Leo kept coming to me and running back up the trail, telling me to come on. Pretty soon here comes floppy earred Cayenne, tongue hanging out, happy as a clam.:tongue: Scarred the crap out of me.:eek: Then, comes a mountain bike rider, stops and tells me she was clear up at the falls.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts