Dog Food Chat banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone! I have a 6 year old pomeranian that I want to match the switch to raw.
I work at a grocery store that sells a product called Omas Pride and was talking to the people that work for them and started thinking that raw is the way to go. My dog is a bit over weight (about 11 lbs), he doesn't eat kibble, just wet food:rolleyes: and he used to eat doggy treat bones (rawhide, biscuits, ect.) but 4 years ago he was attacked by the neighbors dog and need staples in his neck and ever since then he has refused to eat the treat bones which has resulted his teeth & breath horrible. (And when I say horrible, I mean it smells like he found a dead skunk on the side of the road & ate it starting at the rear :biggrin:) We have had to get his teeth cleaned every 6 months which costs about 300.00 and thats not counting the amount if they have to remove teeth, which they have done at the last appt. He has had 4 teeth removed so far because he is not getting the proper cleaning that chewing on bones does. I tried brushing his teeth when he was younger but ended up getting attacked every single time. He's very tempermental :rolleyes:. I know if I start feeding him raw, he can chew on the bones which would help his teeth. Also, his poo sometimes can be horribly runny. Certain dog foods will make his poo almost jelly like, which is disgusting to clean up.

We have a raw food pet company in my area and I'm not sure about the prices here versus grocery store so here's the link if anyone wants to check that out for me Millers Products Page

Also I need some advice as to where to start. I know he would enjoy the diet because everytime food gets dropped on the floor he takes a mad dash to get it but I've always been concerned he'll get sick if I can't manage to get it out of his mouth.

Thanks in advance for any advice!

·
Registered
5,009 Posts
I'd definately say that if you're going to go raw, just do it right. Don't bother with pre packaged "formulas" made for dogs. Their food is not NEARLY as regulated as human food, and therefore you never know the quality of the products used. They're generally more expensive, lower quality, and aren't true meat. They include veggies, which is entirely species-inappropriate. There is zero need for plant matter to be included in your dog's diet. Carnivores, such as dogs, can not use even properly digest plant matter, therefore making it a cheap filler.

Buy meat at your grocery store. The asme kind of chicken, pork, beef, etc. that you'd buy for yourself.
I'll let someone else walk you through getting started. There are people more educated than I am concerning prey model raw diets. I'm rather new to it.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
thanks, the web page was very helpful. I'm just curious if I would have to "wean" him off his canned food or just throw the chicken in front of him. Also, when I do give him the raw meats do I have to debone it? I'm worried that he will choke on the small bones.

·
Registered
5,009 Posts
thanks, the web page was very helpful. I'm just curious if I would have to "wean" him off his canned food or just throw the chicken in front of him. Also, when I do give him the raw meats do I have to debone it? I'm worried that he will choke on the small bones.
You don't need to wean him off the canned food, just start feeding raw.
There is no need to debone. In fact there is need not to! There's a misconception that bones are bad for dogs and they'll choke. This is true of cooked bones. The bones will help keep his poop solid, deliver necessary nutrients, and aid in keeping teeth and gums clean and healthy. You actually want MORE bone content in the beginning than will be necessary later on.

·
Registered
474 Posts
Ok all you rawhids, I am on a chicken back morning, chicken quarter evening raw plan. I can not find turkey necks - unless you consider my neighbors. Is it ok to keep them on this back/quarter rountine? They snarf it up. Should I venture into some pork or beef next? I found chicken very cheap so would like to make that my main componet for my raw based feeding.

Any suggestions?

·
Registered
441 Posts
Ok all you rawhids, I am on a chicken back morning, chicken quarter evening raw plan. I can not find turkey necks - unless you consider my neighbors. Is it ok to keep them on this back/quarter rountine? They snarf it up. Should I venture into some pork or beef next? I found chicken very cheap so would like to make that my main componet for my raw based feeding.

Any suggestions?
This is what I do! I will mix it up when I have the mix to do that with, but I have made chicken a pretty regular meal for them. I also find turkey (wings, legs, necks) and feed that. (If you can get away with it you can count your neighbors if you want)
I also found someone that will sell me rabbit at a fair price. Owen loves rabbit! :)
Get what you can afford and go from there. How long have you been feeding raw? You want to wait at least a month before feeding the next food group like pork or beef. Good luck!

·
Registered
4,419 Posts
No need to wean. Do NOT debone. Bone is a very important component in a carnivore's diet. Dogs/wolves have been eating raw bones for millions of years. They know how to do it and are very well equipped to do it. Just remember to NEVER feed cooked bones.

ETA: With your little small dog you could feed chicken wings, drumsticks, necks, and thighs. All those parts are too small to feed a medium size to large dog.

·
Registered
4,419 Posts

Any suggestions?
You should be able to find turkey wings or legs or thighs. You don't want to stay on chicken only forever. Branch out into turkey then in a week or so, try some pork. Either get a boston butt pork roast or a rack of pork ribs. After he has been eating pork for a couple of weeks, find some cheap beef stuff. If you can find it, feed rabbit, goat, lamb, etc. Be sure in the next month or so to add fish to the diet. Pretty soon you will have a good routine going and its ok to feed mostly chicken. I feed chicken backs every morning and feed chicken quarters 2 or 3 evening meals a week. I feed pork at least once a week, beef heart at least once a week and fish at least once a week. I add in deer meat once or twice a week when I can find it and occasionally feed rabbit. Lamb is pretty expensive around here and rarely feed that. I would feed goat if I could find some meat.

·
Registered
474 Posts
I got another question rawheads:

How does the raw diet change if your bitch is pregnant? Amounts? Sources? etc.

Tanks!

·
Registered
441 Posts

Tanks!
You have to feed till they are full and that is HARD to do!!!! I added kibble to the raw diet to help support the amount of calories and protien that she needed.
Do you have a pregnant dog???

·
Registered
474 Posts
I've got one due on August 30th! And she usually has 8+ pups. She loves her raw but picks at the kibble - maybe I should give her more raw? I picking up turkey necks, chicken backs, and leg quarters tomorrow. Been feeding a back in the morning, a leg quarter in the evening - approximately 2 pounds of raw a day plus what kibble she will eat (maybe a cup/day).

I can get pork spare ribs for $1.70/lb. I can also gey turkey wings. I like the chicken because it is cheap!!!!! I think the turkey necks are around 50 cents/lb.

I am going to try to add either California Natural or Natural Balance lamb and rice kibble (hush RFD hehehe). It's hard to get potential owners to buy into raw.

·
Registered
4,419 Posts

Tanks!
Join the rawfeeding yahoo group to get great answers to this. There are many people who feed pregnant bitches over there and they are very experienced at it.

I have never bred a dog so I don't know abuot it but I remember reading posts about it on that list.

·
Registered
5,009 Posts
I would think that would be one of the most important times to keep to raw, for optimum nutrition, but I only have limited experience with raw and zero with breeding so what do I know? lol
As for the pups I can understand putting them on kibble for the comfort and appeal to potential buyers, but I wouldn't pass up the opportunity to share what you know!! I don't know what you've weaned to in the past but a few breeders order Cali Nat from my work for this purpose because it's ''easy to make mush with'' if that matters at all.
Puppies are exciting!! Congrats, and post pics when they come!!!

·
Registered
474 Posts
Join the rawfeeding yahoo group to get great answers to this. There are many people who feed pregnant bitches over there and they are very experienced at it.

I have never bred a dog so I don't know abuot it but I remember reading posts about it on that list.
How do I join the raw feeding group on yahoo? I have a yahoo account already. I just love birthing pups and watching them get off to a good start. After 8 weeks they need to be in their forever home!

·
Registered
4,419 Posts
1 - 16 of 16 Posts