Dog Food Chat banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
New here. Wife & I have been showing Irish Setters in our area for almost 15 years-love it. I took a part time job (at a petsmart-just a peon) in our area for some extra money & I'm finding it kind of interesting. I'm not sure I agree with all the philosophy or whatever there-it's a job & the people are mostly nice. All kinds of questions from people & I'm learning more about dog food & just dog stuff in general. Interesting seeing/hearing how people care for dogs-sort of amazing. Amazing also is all the different kinds of dog foods.
I hope to learn more here-look forward to meeting folks.
Thanks.

·
Registered
3,550 Posts
Yeah those dog food aisles definitely overwhelm first-timers or people who've never really taken the time to look at them before.

Welcome to the forum!

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the welcome. Right now we have 2 female setters 8+yrs old and a female & male both 2+yrs old, they all love to jump in the van & go to a dog show. Right now we're switching the older ones from Iams minichunks to Blue Buffalo chicken & brown rice. One of the girls scratches sometimes & we're hoping this will help. :tongue:

·
Registered
3,550 Posts
I hope it does too! Good choice switching off of Iams, it's really not a good food.

·
Registered
14 Posts
:wink:Hi I just discovered this site while trying to find out about this "DogFather" training system I just ordered. Hope I wasn't a sucker, let you all know. I have two dogs. My older dog is a Mcnab mix that someone dumped on my remote road about 11 years ago, female. I have a Presa Canario Mastif that was one on the 6th, Stella. She's a trip, but she just is constantly tying to eat anything, and I'm making sure she's well socialized. anyway I'm glad to find this site, I'm just learning to use computers and I'm in my 50's, I guess late is better than never. Peace to ya Lisa

·
Registered
3,550 Posts
Just learning computers and you're already on a forum? Good job! My grandma (I know you aren't that old, I'm just giving an example) is scared to even use email! Heck even my own mom has a hard time with e-mail and she's 50 and uses computers for her work.

I guess what I'm trying to say is, welcome to the forum!

·
Registered
14 Posts
:wink:thanks for the moral support, hey I'm only down the road from Reno, that's where we go to shop from up here in the mountains We got Stella in Reno.

·
Registered
3,550 Posts
Yay another person from my area! Reno definitely has some decent places to shop, and at least it isn't huge and terrifying like Vegas or Sacramento.

L

·
0 Posts
Thanks for the welcome. Right now we have 2 female setters 8+yrs old and a female & male both 2+yrs old, they all love to jump in the van & go to a dog show. Right now we're switching the older ones from Iams minichunks to Blue Buffalo chicken & brown rice. One of the girls scratches sometimes & we're hoping this will help. :tongue:
Welcome, jeffitup. When I was in my first year of high school, my parents adopted a pair of 4 year old Irish Setters, both females, littermates. They were gorgeous, came with AKC papers, and they were given up by their owners because the owners wanted the dogs to have plenty of room to run (we had a very large acreage, and we also had a pool and a boat). Every summer we would take vacations on our boat and we always had our 2 Setters with us, as well as the Pug (we had 4 Pugs, one after the other) that was my mom's. The Setters loved to jump off the boat into the water. They were true water / bird dogs and we loved them dearly. I still look at old pictures of them and think of all the fun things we did and times we had with them. One of my favorite photos is of the two Setters on the couch, with Bumbles the Pug sandwiched in-between them. They all looked cozy and happy together. I've got that photo framed. Well it's been 30 years since I was in high school, but I do remember my Setters very fondly.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Wow-thanks for the nice responses. Wife got a kick when I told her I got involved in this forum (I'm just an ex-mechanic guy she thinks). She's into showdog type list/forums. Folks usually have some kind of response about Irish's-usually it's something like "my cousin had one of those when they were little". Years ago we had fish, it was actually called an "Ilbino Iridescent Shark", it was real pretty & lived a long time, but I always thought it was an interesting name for a fish. Sometimes when someone ask us about our dogs I'll say something kind of sarcastic & make up something like "they're Ilbino Iridescent Irish Setters & they eat sardines", it's just me I guess.
We have lots of fun with ours & have had some success with them at dog shows. Dog shows are fun-but not for everyone-more lately it has been fun just to get to see some of the nice friends that we've made. The competition & politics at some shows can detract from the fun-but there are those who thrive on all that stuff.
I had an Irish when I met my wife & she also had one at that time, we've since had at least one, bred a couple of wonderful litters, had a few other dogs also. Lost a few great old friends along the way too-sadly we all go through that part of it don't we.:wink:

·
Registered
2,359 Posts
Love your doggy pic. so cute! Welcome! When my hubby and I were first married we had thought of getting an irish setter. so cute. But it was sad we went and looked at the mom and she was just in bad shape. they said a bee had bitten here and she was not doing well with this but well anyway we ended up not getting a pup with the bad conditions. ugh! Back yard breeders oh what you learn!
The job sounds like alot of fun. At our pet smart, they have that doggie day care and I sometimes look in on the employees when they play with the dogs looks like so much fun! I often say gee I should do that who wouldn't want to play with doggys haha! good luck with you new job and your pups sounds like a full house and fun! Let us know what you learn about the foods!

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hello .. i'm new here .. :cool:

1 - 13 of 13 Posts