Dog Food Chat banner

1 - 20 of 118 Posts

·
Registered
1,791 Posts
never understood why these companies continue to put out 30% protein/less grain free foods.

The minute I see this...I think "not enough meat."

But, looks like decent food no doubt.

·
Banned
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
You should look at the website especially the 'about us' section. I am a big fan of Downey's products, he runs one of the few pet food companies where the owner actually knows something about canine nutrition. I can't think of another except for Abady where the owner had actual experience at high levels of competition whether it was show or sport or both.

I use both products, Annamaet Ultra and Abady, depending on the application.

·
Banned
539 Posts
How can you say it is grain free, when every product I saw had brown rice in it AND SOME EVEN HAD CORN. When I see the word corn in a dog food product, I figure that they are a low quality dog food manufacture. I do not mind seeing brown rice, I just can't stand seeing all the other grain piled in on top of it. I would not buy anything from these guys...

·
Banned
539 Posts
You should look at the website especially the 'about us' section. I am a big fan of Downey's products, he runs one of the few pet food companies where the owner actually knows something about canine nutrition. I can't think of another except for Abady where the owner had actual experience at high levels of competition whether it was show or sport or both.

I truly feel sorry for your dog. Abady has to be one of the worst dog foods made today. Ya, once upon a time it might have been a good food but not today.

Dog Food Reviews - Abady Classic Maintenance/Stress formula - Powered by ReviewPost

The Dog Food Project - Ingredients to avoid

·
Registered
718 Posts
Looks like crap to me. Looking at the ingredients of their dog foods, Annamaet Encore, Option, Extra, and Adult, not one has a named meat source. All start with a meat MEAL (chicken or catfish) and go straight into the grains from there. I wouldn't feed this stuff to the neighborhood raccoons.

Then there are their grain free products, Aqualuk, Salcha, and Manitok (such unfortunate names from a marketing POV) yet I can find no ingredient lists for any of them.

Fail.

·
Banned
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
you are looking at the wrong section of the website, look under:

Annamaet Petfoods

If you had working or hunting dogs you would know how valuable properly cooked corn is. The corn myth just won't go away. Corn gluten is bad in dog food but not whole grain corn. The internet corn allergy myth has done nothing but take a valuable ingredient out of dog food,

In Annamaet Ultra there is actually more fat than corn.

This guy knows his stuff and I think he is Vice-Chair of ISDRA now.

·
Banned
539 Posts

Do you really believe what this guy says?? Heck the morons at Abady says their DOG food solve's hip-dysplasia. Do you know anything about dysplasia? That statement burns me because it is a total OUTRIGHT LIE???

·
Banned
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

·
Banned
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
Looks like crap to me. Looking at the ingredients of their dog foods, Annamaet Encore, Option, Extra, and Adult, not one has a named meat source. All start with a meat MEAL (chicken or catfish) and go straight into the grains from there. I wouldn't feed this stuff to the neighborhood raccoons.

Then there are their grain free products, Aqualuk, Salcha, and Manitok (such unfortunate names from a marketing POV) yet I can find no ingredient lists for any of them.

Fail.
You dont understand a thing about dog food. "Meat" is 70 -80% water "Meal" is about 10% water. Meal should always be the first ingredient. The water is included in the ranking of ingredients. Its a marketing gimmic.

The Annamaet Grain Frees are just coming out, the section on the website is just an announcement. See below:

Robert Downey

• Lifelong involvement with dogs
• Graduate of The Ohio State University
• Graduate work at University of Pennsylvania School of Veterinary Medicine
• President of Annamaet Petfoods
• Currently maintains a kennel of 25 racing sled dogs.
• 2006 8-Dog & 10-Dog ISDRA Gold Medalist
• 2008 8-Dog North American Champion
• 2009 Bronze Medal IFSS World Championship
• Vice Chairman of the International Sled Dog Racing Association

Works by Downey
• Downey, R.L., Kronfeld, D.S. and Banta, C.A. "Diet of Beagles Affects Stamina." Journal American Animal Hospital Association, Vol. 16 (1980), pp. 273 - 7.
• Kronfeld, D.S., Downey, R.L., "Nutritional Strategies for Stamina in Dogs and Horses." Proceedings, Nutrition Society Australia, Vol. 6 (1981), pp. 21 - 9.
• Kronfeld, D.S., Atkins, T.O., and Downey, R.L., "Nutrition, Anaerobic and Aerobic Exercise, and Stress." Nutrition of the Dog and Cat, Ed. Burger, I.H.,
Rivers, J. P. W. New York: Cambridge University Press, 1989, pp. 133 - 45.
• Kronfeld, D.S., Downey, R.L., and Banta, C.A. "Stamina of Beagles is Influenced by Diet." Proceedings, American College Veterinary Internal Medicine,
Seattle (1979), p. 105.
• Downey, R.L. "Feeding for Winning." Hounds and Hunting Vol. 76 (1979), pp. 32 - 36.
• Downey, R.L. "Musher (With a Difference!) With Leatha Braden." Siberian World, Vol. 3 (1979), pp. 3 - 8.
• Downey, R.L. "Heat Stress in Dogs." Howl Magazine.

·
Registered
517 Posts
Looks like this fella might be a lost casue. He thinks meals are the greatest, and corn is a valuable ingredient for dogs. LOL!!

·
Banned
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Do you really believe what this guy says?? Heck the morons at Abady says their DOG food solve's hip-dysplasia. Do you know anything about dysplasia? That statement burns me because it is a total OUTRIGHT LIE???
Actually Fidelco did a study over 20 years and wrote a letter to Abady. Fidelco is a guide dog training center in New England and has nothing to do with Abady other than use the food.

L

·
0 Posts
If you had a dog that needed to hunts for 8 or more hours and run 35 - 40 miles in a day you would know what I mean. Here:

Corn In Pet Foods | GREATDANELADY.COM

she is pretty knowledgable

This same woman, known as the Great Dane Lady, recommends Precise Pet Foods, all of these formulas contain NO corn, wheat or soy:

food for great danes dogs| GREATDANELADY.COM

See also, http://www.greatdanelady.com/articles/criteria_list_of_better_foods.htm for her list of food recommendations.

·
Registered
438 Posts
Looks like this fella might be a lost casue. He thinks meals are the greatest, and corn is a valuable ingredient for dogs. LOL!!

]
well, named meat meals are the only way any significant amount of meat gets into any high meat content dog food like orijen or EVO.dog foods. named meats are usually little more than window dressing.

·
Registered
517 Posts
I like to see the named meat, then the meal. Meal is highly processed, much more so than meats.

That lady means nothing to me. I read a few sentences, and knew this was a waste of time.

·
Registered
438 Posts
I like to see the named meat, then the meal. Meal is highly processed, much more so than meats.

That lady means nothing to me. I read a few sentences, and knew this was a waste of time.
doesnt matter. that named meat meal is where the very high majority of the meat comes from. having a named meat first just means that meat is 6,7,8 or worse down the ingredient list. the named meat looks good sitiing there on the list, but i accept that it adds very little meat to a dog food.

some meat meals are of much higher quality than others (such as those that are comprised of more muscle meat).

bottom line is, if a dog food is going to have a truly high meat content, like orijen or evo, the meat content will come almost entirely from named meat meals.

·
Registered
517 Posts
doesnt matter. that named meat meal is where the very high majority of the meat comes from. having a named meat first just means that meat is 6,7,8 or worse down the ingredient list. the named meat looks good sitiing there on the list, but i accept that it adds very little meat to a dog food.

some meat meals are of much higher quality than others (such as those that are comprised of more muscle meat).

bottom line is, if a dog food is going to have a truly high meat content, like orijen or evo, the meat content will come almost entirely from named meat meals.
Yeah I know that to be true, I just like to think the less amounts of meals would mean less processing in the end. Not to say that meals are bad, as high quality stuff from an Evo or an Orijen is good stuff.

·
Registered
67 Posts
@Wrangler1, I'm disturbed by your tone, but will leave that issue aside. I find it interesting that you charged a prior poster to "Tell me why, give me science not internet nonsense. Science please, not internet nonsense. Abady always creates a violent reaction out of ignorance" but then turned around and cited a decidedly non-scientific source (see your quote below). I'm not aware of any original research that Ms. Arndt has done on this topic, which suggests that her musings are just that: musings.

If you had a dog that needed to hunts for 8 or more hours and run 35 - 40 miles in a day you would know what I mean. Here:

Corn In Pet Foods | GREATDANELADY.COM

she is pretty knowledgable
Against my better judgment, I'll take your bait: please provide us with the "science" that suggests that corn is part of acceptable or ideal canine diet. Please do not reply (as you have in other of your posts) to the effect that I am ignorant or can't handle the science.

1 - 20 of 118 Posts