Dog Food Chat banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi.

I rescued a young lab mix a couple of months ago. He's smallish - at 40 lbs.

The shelter was feeding him Purina Dog Chow. I've switched him to Wellness (chicken), but he doesn't like it. I'm also concerned about it being made in China.

I'd love to know what people here think about Blue Buffalo, Kirkland and Taste of the Wild.

Also, I've never thought about rotating foods; I've always thought (been told) that any changing of food needs to be gradual.

Thanks for any insights.

·
Registered
10,128 Posts
Hello and welcome! I would say rotating all those foods would be better than feeding just one of them exclusively. Variety is key in any diet.

·
Registered
3,085 Posts
Hi and welcome to the forum. Nice to have you here. :smile:

All the foods you mentioned are decent foods, not the best, but way way better then the Purina Dog Chow he was eating.

I have feed both the Kirkland brand and TOTW. My dogs did really well on both foods. And, for the price they are pretty good.

One thing of caution is to not cater to your dogs wim of what to eat. Your the human, you decide what he eats. If you start to cater to him not eating this food or him not eating that food you can easily create a picky eater. Pick the food you want to feed him and stick to it.

One thing you could try is to add some canned food for some variety and moisture. It may help in keeping his food interesting to him. Yes, it is a good thing to rotate kibbles from time to time. When switching do it gradually and over a period of time. I change my dogs kibble about every month or so. Variety is key to a healthy diet.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Hello Patt, welcome to the forum. You will find a lot of great info
and wonderful people here. Nice to see someone else from the Cleveland
area on the board. I live in Geauga County!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts