Dog Food Chat banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just rescued an 5 month old mix breed. I have been feeding her puppy chow since I didnt know if I was gonna keep her. Now that we have fell in love with "Roxy" we want to get her some quality food any suggestions?

·
Registered
3,085 Posts
Hi and welcome to the forum. Nice to have you here. :biggrin:

If your not really on a budget and can afford it I would totally go with either Orijen or Acana (better yet, rotate between them all). Both these kibbles are made by Champion and are the best of the best when it comes to kibble, IMO.

I hope you find a food that works for both your dog and you! :smile:

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I have a decent budget. I am looking for a mid level brand that is not only healthy but taste to my dog as well. I here some of these expensive foods are not taste to the dog.

·
Registered
3,085 Posts
I have heard that some dogs don't like the Orijen Adult formula. My new pup LOVES the Large Breed Puppy formula. I have also heard that the Acana formulas are a hit with most dogs (mine included).

You can always get some samples and see how your dog takes to them.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Supplements

What do you think about giving your dog supplements? I just got my puppy Nutri Vet just to see if that helps her develop and put on alittle more weight since when I rescued her she was a little frail.

·
Registered
5,009 Posts
Welcome to the forum!
I think that supplementing in regards to specific ailments is a good thing... but to just supplement to supplement, I think is a bit overkill and can actually do more harm than good.
No supplement will do near as much good as a great healthy diet.
The only thing I really recommend regular supplementation for an healthy dog is fish oil.

·
Registered
216 Posts
I give my dog a supplement and she's doing really well on it. She had developed a limp off and on for a few weeks so I decided to try Joint Mobility and the very next day her limp was gone. I've continued giving it to her because it's basically the company's Canine Complete supplement, which is like a daily multi-vitamin, plus joint stuff like glucosamine, chondroitin, and MSM. Once we finish this batch I might just switch her to Canine Complete so she gets the daily multi-vitamin.

I have several customers who supplement with one or the other on a regular basis, and salmon oil is another common supplement we sell. I don't know about supplementing to put weight on though. Something like Canine Complete would probably be good to help get him healthy again, but I'd stick with a healthy diet to take care of the weight issue. If he's getting the nutrition he needs his body will get itself in order on its own

·
Registered
52 Posts
Welcome to the forums! Lots have given you great info already. I used to feed premium kibble many years ago and slowly switched to 100% raw foods for my dogs now. I have to say the $ I spend on raw is far less than the best brands of kibble out there but you've got to be willing to spend more time than dumping kibble in a bowl. So as long as you're realisitic about budget and time that's really the best direction to start with.

Lots of my foster dogs come in eating all sorts of junk and I've switched every last one of them to raw cold turkey. Only the occasional one has any sort of issue and it's for a very short time; most dogs take to it like champs!

If you want more info about Raw feeding check out the raw food section, lots of really good knowledgable people here!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts