Dog Food Chat banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Kali is 3yr old Dobie/Lab and for the last year it seems we have been in and out of the vets with butt licking and butt scooting. First of course they think it is anal glands, finally switched vets, now they saying food allergy. They put her on the Hill Z/D Allergen Free Dry Food. She has been on this for over a month now, and she is still licking and scooting..... Any ideas would be appreciated.

Thanks

:confused:

·
Registered
4,419 Posts
First thing you can do tomorrow is to get that poor dog off that garbage Z/D "food". If the problem is a food allergy, by far the best thing to feed her is a prey model raw diet. If you aren't up for that, I would suggest a food like EVO or Orijen. For sure, don't feed anything with grain in it.

If it's not a food allergy, the posibilities are anal glands which I doubt since the vets should have worked in that area. Depending or EXACTLY where she is licking, it could be a vaginal infection or a UTI. I would think that the first vet gave plenty of anitbiotics and steroids and those should have also cleared up Vaginal or UTI problems also.

The only thing left that I can think of is OCD. It would be unusual but I guess it's possible.

I can't remember a case where "butt itch" is caused by allergies but I guess thats possible. It could also be environmental allergies instead of food allergies.

So now I have taken up a lot of space to say, "I don't have a clue that it is" :smile:

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
She was on Pedigree for 2 years.

Never even heard of this Z/D food until the Vet told me that is what she needed. She licks, or I say attacks her butt, her butt is red. The 1st vet gave her a shot of Dexamethason, and Predisone pills. The 2nd vet expressed her glands not full, (this is where she said food allergy) "SHE THINKS"... gave her a shot of Triamicin, and Derma Cool Spray.... Nothing is working. She is miserable...... she can be laying down all calm and then she just starts attacking her butt by licking to much she is leaving wet spots all over.... she is miserable....... and I am at a loss.... Never heard of Evo or Orijen but will look it up...... Thanks so much...

·
Registered
523 Posts
Awhile back one of my dogs had that problem too. And, I have to say I did switch food and it went away. Not saying that the same thing is happening to your dog. It was so long ago though and I didn't know about the quality brands of dog food at the time so I'm afraid I can't recommend anything for you. But, I don't think it can hurt if you switch the dog food to a quality brand like Origen, Wellness Core or Innova Evo. That's only three of the quality brands that I like but there are more out there.

There is one thing I forgot to ask.... You said you have a dobie/lab mix. Soooo, my question to you is do you regularly shampoo your dog? If so, that could be an irritant to your dog as well. In the summer, I decided to shampoo my dog and didn't get all the soap off of her in that area and she went crazy w/itching, etc. Her tail is usually up and she left it down for a couple of weeks as she was a little raw.

Did the vet give you some sort of salve to put on it in the meantime for the irritation? It may be harder to determine if the food is helping since Kali may be irritating it more because she is always licking there. Just my thoughts.

·
Registered
3,550 Posts
Well Pedigree and Science Diet z/d are both pretty much garbage foods so they can't be helping anything. Try upgrading to something infinitely better (yes, they will be more expensive but your dog will be healthier and you'll save plenty of money at the vet's office later on).

Also, has she been tested for worms?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
She has been tested for worms, yes.... it was fine. I take her to the groomers about ever 3 months. I checked on the other food and with start the one of the ones you recommended. And yes, she has some Derma Cool Hydrocortisone spray, but that does not seem to help either. I know the food is expensive, I just want her to be happy. Like you said I rather pay a high price on foods, then the vet bills I have been paying ....

Thanks for the suggestions...... :)

·
Registered
92 Posts
Hills is the worst dog food you could feed! It doesn't have enough meat, doesn't provide a dog with all the nutrition they need, uses dangerous chemicals and preservatives, and uses a lot of fillers. I highly recomend Artemis Maximal Dog.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts