Dog Food Chat banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Unfortunately, it turns out that my beloved Brady's allergy is grains. We have to switch his food.

I have heard good and bad about TOTW - but I don't see how it won't hurt to try. I have heard about poor cancer-causing preservatives in their fish products - so I am avoiding the fish formulas and looking at the High Prairie Formula. [Bison & Venison] Also, TOTW is the same price as California Natural for me.

Here is a link to the place where I buy dog food - it shows the brands they sell there:

EssexCountycoop

Unfortunately, I can not pay more than 40-45 dollars for a 30+lb. bag. Even though I would love to feed Orijen, I unfortunately can not afford it.

Suggestions?

·
Registered
33 Posts
I'm afraid I don't have an answer for you

but I will be watching this thread for responses, because my terrier mix, Rosie, is doing ~ok~ on California Natural but still having the occasional loose stool. We are using pumpkin more often than not, which I don't like.

How did you pin down the grain as the source of your dog's problem?

For Rosie, I'm concerned about going grain-free because of the other ingredients in those foods - she didn't do well on Blue Buffalo or Wellness Core.

I don't want to mess with this now because we are going away in August and leaving her with a friend for a week (we'll be leaving a can of pumpkin with the Cal Natural). In September, though, I'm thinking we may try Natural Balance, which is grain-free but limited-ingredient. Its cost is comparable to that of Cal Natural.

·
Registered
4,655 Posts
Or you could just feed a raw diet, no concerns of allergens, loose stools, and it is the natural diet that was meant for all dogs.

·
Registered
29 Posts
I started Winniefred on Wellness just for puppy she had loose stools and bad gas. I switched to Haven Naturals and she still had loose stools and gas. I switched to TOTW and she has firm stools and no gas at all. It works for me and it seems to work for her. She gets a half can of wet food in the afternoon and then has TOTW available as free choice and she usually eats about a cup and a half.

Personally I wouldn't feed a fish based food but no only for the Ethyoxiquin thing. There's mercury and chemicals and pollution in so many waters. People used to live on lake fish here in Minnesota and now they advise limiting it and avoiding it for kids and pregnant women. Kinda sad.

Anyhow TOTW Waterfowl and High Plains works for us.

·
Registered
333 Posts
obviously the raw devotees will all first think "feed raw" and totally true. With raw, you will not have to worry about any grains or allergens and depending on where you live, it may be cheaper.

I haven't heard too many negative things about TOTW. Its definitely not a bad food. I've personally always stuck with EVO, Orijen and Merrick so I can't really give personally experience on TOTW but I would say to give it a shot. Good luck!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts