Dog Food Chat banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a friend who's a vet tech, who wanted to try out raw. It was a big step for her in the first place so she asked alot of questions and i even used RFD's website to show her what to do. She made sure to have everything in place before she fed it. So then comes i think it was Tuesday this week. She thawed the Chicken Quarters in her fridge during the day for her 2 dogs, one is a 30lb Pit Bull Mix and the other is a 50lb Shepherd Mix. The 2 ate just fine, loved it, went to bed happy.

Next day comes. Huge amounts of vomit with bone in it everywhere from both dogs, she fasted them for the day obviously and they were still puking up bones into the next day. She's obviously scared off by this now, i doubt anything i say to her will make her try it again. I've just NEVER seen this reaction to raw in my life...

So raw gurus... Any ideas why this happened? All she fed them was chicken quarters once, nothing else.

·
Registered
4,419 Posts
A quarter is probably too much for a 30 lb dog at one sitting. 60lb dog should have been ok. Don't know why he wasn't handling it. It's why I suggest chicken backs to begin with. She might try fasting them for a day before feeding them the chicken. Sometimes dogs throw up when their bodies isn't used to digesting raw meat and bones. I don't see it as a real big deal. She should try again. Feed less next time.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
A quarter is probably too much for a 30 lb dog at one sitting. 60lb dog should have been ok. Don't know why he wasn't handling it. It's why I suggest chicken backs to begin with. She might try fasting them for a day before feeding them the chicken. Sometimes dogs throw up when their bodies isn't used to digesting raw meat and bones. I don't see it as a real big deal. She should try again. Feed less next time.
She fasted them for 24 hours, and didn't feed them a whole quarter each. She bought a kitchen scale so she could measure the amounts for the first while until she could eye ball it so she did i think 1/4 lb (she'd get roughly 1/2lb per day) for the 30lb dog and 1/2 lb (roughly 1lb per day) for the 50lb dog. She hasn't found a place to get the chicken backs yet, her butchers are anything but cooperative. They've had no diarrhea at all, it's just the vomiting with bone.

She's fed once, this happened... We followed pretty much everything to a tee besides feeding quarters instead of backs on account of them not being available. She really went out on a limb to try this and i doubt i can get her to try again.

·
Registered
4,419 Posts
She's fed once, this happened... We followed pretty much everything to a tee besides feeding quarters instead of backs on account of them not being available. She really went out on a limb to try this and i doubt i can get her to try again.
The only other thing I know to do is to remove the skin and excess fat next time she feeds them. There is no reason they should have thrown up. There is something else she isn't telling us. I'm not sure what it is. If she had one dog throwing up that would be one thing but bwo throwing up their first raw meal and it's only chicken quarters? There is something else going on. There is too much of a coincendence going on here. Two dogs don't throw up chicken quarters for no reason.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The only other thing I know to do is to remove the skin and excess fat next time she feeds them. There is no reason they should have thrown up. There is something else she isn't telling us. I'm not sure what it is. If she had one dog throwing up that would be one thing but bwo throwing up their first raw meal and it's only chicken quarters? There is something else going on. There is too much of a coincendence going on here. Two dogs don't throw up chicken quarters for no reason.
I don't know why they did it. I know both of them were in perfect health for their age, they're older dogs but just had a full blood panel full checkups and everything and they're in perfect health. She's told me flat out, she's not trying again which really sucks. She really went out on a limb and trusted it and the vomiting has scared her out of raw altogether. I'm just taking notes incase i see this again.

·
Registered
3,550 Posts
Aw man, that's really awful that happened to her. Do you have any idea what she was feeding before? I've heard on other websites that dogs switched to raw can sometimes go through a detox process where they end up vomiting and all that pleasant stuff more until their bodies get used to digesting it. That could be what happened. However, I always think it's a good idea to keep an eye out for any digestive upset that happens when switching diets so drastically, since that's generally something that happens. That's my best guess.

How soon after they ate the raw did they start vomiting? Is it possible they got into something that caused this to happen?

How frustrating and scary for your friend and how very unfortunate for her dogs!

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Aw man, that's really awful that happened to her. Do you have any idea what she was feeding before? I've heard on other websites that dogs switched to raw can sometimes go through a detox process where they end up vomiting and all that pleasant stuff more until their bodies get used to digesting it. That could be what happened. However, I always think it's a good idea to keep an eye out for any digestive upset that happens when switching diets so drastically, since that's generally something that happens. That's my best guess.

How soon after they ate the raw did they start vomiting? Is it possible they got into something that caused this to happen?

How frustrating and scary for your friend and how very unfortunate for her dogs!
She was feeding Wellness Core Ocean before for the past i think 6 months and regular wellness before that. She fed them in the evening... then they went to bed, then in the morning there was vomit so she didn't feed them or take them to work and there was more vomit. They just moved in so their house is still extremely empty.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts