Dog Food Chat banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2,916 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All-

The breeder I'm living with/working for this summer feeds half of her frenchies raw. She thinks that her dogs need more bones as their stools are loose.

Right now, they get a mixture of ground beef, tripe and ground turkey.

What are some easy to find and good bone sources to add to this mixture? She's also concerned that the bone would be a problem with frenchies because of their faces/noses.

·
Registered
222 Posts
Mybe chicken wings, backs and legs? Thats generaly the bones mine get. I believe frenchies should be fine with them.

·
Registered
939 Posts
Hey there!!!

Having a Boston I totally understand what you mean about bones posing an issue. He eats them, but definitely not as gracefully as my German Shepherd. LOL The bones that he seems to have the easiest time with are chicken drumsticks and lamb breast.

Have they ever considered giving whole pieces of meat rather than ground? Whole cuts are most likely cheaper and would harbor less bacteria. Plus the dental benefits are worth it. :biggrin:

·
Registered
4,655 Posts
I definitely would try to rethink the ground meat as feeding lots of this definitetly increases the chances of a bacteria problem, and causes the diarreah you speak of.
Wings and drumsticks would be a good choice, and a good size.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts