Dog Food Chat banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a new puppy coming. I have never owned a dog so i want to make sure i do every thing right. Now my question is dew claws. Do i keep them or remove them. whats better and why. Is it a easy surgery at a vet or is it costly. thanks in advance every one

·
Registered
4,655 Posts
If the puppy has not had their dewclaws already removed, DO NOT touch them or have them removed, it is the most inhumane thing to do and should always be done when the puppy is first born.

·
Registered
3,085 Posts
I agree. Just leave them be. Lucky has her front dew claws still and they haven't caused her any trouble. I am sure to clip them and keep they short, just like the rest of her nails.

Now, when I had my Rottie, I did have his back dew claws removed when he was neutered. The ONLY reason I had them removed was because they were big double dew claws on his back feet and the chance of them getting caught on things was a greater problem then just having them removed.

Since this is your first dog, let me offer a word of advice. From the moment you bring him home start messing with his feet and ears. Pretend like your trimming his nails, clean his ears....I would do it almost everyday. This way he gets used to having his feet and ears messed with, otherwise it may turn into a real battle once he is full grown. :wink:

·
Registered
2,965 Posts
I agree 100%! I play with my puppies toes every day with just my fingers and then every few days I use the toenail clippers and just pretend to cut their nails by making the motion with the clippers near their toes. Then once in awhile just snip off a tiny bit and give them treats whenever you do it. You want them to be happy while you cut their toenails. The worst thing is to have a dog that hates to have their nails done and struggles the whole time but if you start them as babies, they get used to it pretty well.

The more you handle your puppy, the happier and more bonded to you he will be!

·
Registered
105 Posts
I have a new puppy coming. I have never owned a dog so i want to make sure i do every thing right. Now my question is dew claws. Do i keep them or remove them. whats better and why. Is it a easy surgery at a vet or is it costly. thanks in advance every one
Your breeder will determine if the dew claws will be removed. Most breeders have them removed within a couple of days of birth. Why not ask your breeder what their plan is?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts