Dog Food Chat banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My seven year old yellow lab, Daisy has just been diagonsed as diabetic.Right now our bigest question is what to feed her that is not only healthy(of course) but also easy ( she only gets dry dog food as does our other dog) and fairly inexpensive. So I don't sound like a heartless cheapskate let me say my husband and I are having a very hard time right now as we lost our 26 year old son in a car accident 58 days ago and it is still a struggle just to get through the day. I am back to work full time as we need the money and the insurance. I love my dog but I am not sure we can handle this right now. I would appreciate any insight. Thanks.

·
Registered
195 Posts
Oh, My heart goes out to you! I can't offer any advice on your diabetic doggie - as I have no experience with that & don't want to give bad advise. However, my thoughts and prayers are with you in this difficult time.

Hang in there - I know there will be helpful answers for you forthcoming....

·
Registered
115 Posts
I'm very sorry for your loss.

I'm not a vet, but my opinion is that if you feed your diabetic doggie one of the high quality kibble, you will save in vet costs and medications.
Definitely try to keep his weight down to a healthy weight. Stay away from alot of carbs in the food. Someone please stop me if I'm wrong! :) My feeling is that a dog food high in quality protein and grain free such as Orijen, Evo, or Wellness Core may really control or even cure the problem all together.

L

·
0 Posts
I previously had a female chocolate Lab that was diagnosed as diabetic at age 5. Just as the vet and I were working out the insulin plan, my dog deteriorated rapidly and passed away. I didn't have a chance to help control her diabetes, she died only 2 weeks after being diagnosed. It all happened so fast. But I recall the vet recommended Prescription Science Diet and I know I didn't feel too good about that food. I'm very sorry you lost your son and now have to help your Lab cope with diabetes. It certainly is very difficult. My thoughts are with you.

·
Registered
1 Posts
diabetic dog foods

Also sorry about your loss and hope that 2009 is a better year for you and your family.

Unfortunately, I cannot offer any great advice on the food question. We have a diabetic dog and she is currently on Purina DCO dry food, but I came here looking for alternatives.

One suggestion is to check out www.K9diabetes.com which I joined 2 days ago. The site has great information on canine diabetes and friendly people. Some people use dry food, most use canned or a mixture, some cook their own. The most important thing is that the food, insulin, and activity level work for your dog, as measured by their general well being and blood glucose levels. Also, I learned that the Wal-Mart insulin is popular for low cost (but we have not used it yet).

Dan

·
Registered
61 Posts
Dan:

So sorry to hear about your diabetic dog but glad you found that forum. I know one of the mods & she really knows a lot about canine diabetes. You couldn't have gone to a better place for help.

I sent DaisysMom a PM telling her to look for a diabetes board & told her if she needed help to PM me. I was going to give her the link you just posted. I never heard back from her so I hope Daisy is ok. I do hope she posts again to give us an update.

Let us know how Ella is doing.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Introduction my self

I agree with this topic.

I previously had a female chocolate Lab that was diagnosed as diabetic at age 5. Just as the vet and I were working out the insulin plan, my dog deteriorated rapidly and passed away. I didn't have a chance to help control her diabetes, she died only 2 weeks after being diagnosed. It all happened so fast. But I recall the vet recommended Prescription Science Diet and I know I didn't feel too good about that food. I'm very sorry you lost your son and now have to help your Lab cope with diabetes. It certainly is very difficult. My thoughts are with you.

Pet Supplies

·
Registered
523 Posts
I'm so sorry about your loss. Hope this year is better for you. I don't know much about diabetic dogs but I do know you will learn alot here! My prayers are with you in your time of loss.

·
Registered
92 Posts
I highly recomend adding Wheat Grass and Barley Grass. These are easily assimilated throughout the digestive tract, giving the body instant access to vital nutrients. These potent greens can promote detoxification, improve digestive system functioning, promote cellular health, and normal blood sugar levels, promote cardiovascular wellness, help the body remove heavy metals from the bloodstream, and cleanse the liver. Spirulina, Chlorella, Dulse & Kelp might also be beneficial for your dog. These algaes (Spirulina & Chlorella) and sea vegetables (Dulse & Kelp) contains rich amounts of vitamins, trace minerals and vital health co-factors like beta carotene and essential fatty acids. They contains an excellent supply of easy-to-digest vegetable protein without the fat and cholesterol of meat, and offer a complete set of essential amino acids. Broccoli, Kale & Spinach would be a good supplement to give, also. Grandma got it right in encouraging us all to eat these greens – they’re rich in vitamins, minerals, and fiber, and many phytochemicals recently identified that offer health protective benefits. Contemporary research has demonstrated strong antioxidant and cellular health maintenance properties of cruciferous veggies like broccoli and kale. Spinach is loaded with antioxidants, Vitamins A & C and calcium, and has the same health protective properties as the other greens on our grandparents’ dinner table.

·
Registered
92 Posts
I highly recommend Dr. Harvey's Co Enzyme Q10. Dr. Harvey's Coenzyme Q10 is made from 100% human grade ingredients and is manufactured with the highest quality control. Cells that benefit the most from the addition of coenzyme Q10 are those that have a more rapid turnover, including heart, gingiva, mucosal cells of the intestines, and immune system cells. Dietary sources for coenzyme Q10 include migratory fish (mackerel and sardines), organ meats, and, to a lesser extent, legumes, rice and canola oil. Some conditions that may improve with Coenzyme Q10 supplementation include:

Dental disease
Gum disease, gingivitis, inflammation in the mouth
Immune boosting
Diabetes
Heart diseases, including:
Cardiomyopathy
Heart murmurs
Enlarged heart
Rapid heart beats (tachycardia)
Irregular heart beats (arrhythmia)

·
Registered
92 Posts
Coconut oil can also be very good. The health and nutritional benefits that can be derived from consuming coconut oil have been recognized in many parts of the world for centuries. Fed to pets it may have multiple benefits including:

Improves digestion and nutrient absorption
Helps control body and breath odor
Aids in elimination of hairballs and coughing
Aids healing of digestive disorders like inflammatory bowel syndrome and colitis
Contains powerful antibacterial, antiviral, and antifungal agents that prevent infection and disease
Prevents and treats yeast and fungal infections, including candida
Promotes normal thyroid function
Helps prevent or control diabetes
Aids in arthritis relief
Reduces allergic reactions
Improves skin health and hair condition
Disinfects cuts and promotes wound healing
As an antioxidant, it is 50 times more potent than Vitamin E, 15 times more potent than carrots, and 300 times more potent than tomatoes.

·
Registered
4,419 Posts
I highly recomend adding Wheat Grass and Barley Grass. These are easily assimilated throughout the digestive tract, giving the body instant access to vital nutrients.
Dogs as carnivores have no need for wheat or barely grass, cannot digest them and cannot extract nutrients from them. You seem to be cut and pasting a lot of promotional material today. It would be easier on everyone if you would just post a link. This particular paste came from Get Well Food Gifts - Food Gifts - Page 2 - Gifts Online - GiftsPlaza.net.

·
Registered
4,419 Posts
Coconut oil can also be very good. The health and nutritional benefits that can be derived from consuming coconut oil have been recognized in many parts of the world for centuries. Fed to pets it may have multiple benefits including:
Come on now. This pasting is getting old. Are you getting paid to spread this stuff?

·
Registered
3,550 Posts
I agree, just give us the link so we don't have to get inundated. Unless you are getting paid, in which case, how do I get that gig? And it better be paying well!

·
Registered
92 Posts
Dogs as carnivores have no need for wheat or barely grass, cannot digest them and cannot extract nutrients from them. You seem to be cut and pasting a lot of promotional material today. It would be easier on everyone if you would just post a link. This particular paste came from Get Well Food Gifts - Food Gifts - Page 2 - Gifts Online - GiftsPlaza.net.
Actually, it did not. Dogs may be classified as carnivores, but they need vegetation in order to get the nutrients they need. Dogs can, do, and easily extract nutrients from wheat and barely grass. I did not get my information from the source you are siting.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Come on now. This pasting is getting old. Are you getting paid to spread this stuff?
Nope...just know more about canine nutrition than you do. lol :tongue:

·
Registered
92 Posts
Diabetes Mellitus is a group of conditions in which there is a deficiency of the hormone insulin or an insensitivity to it. In a diabetic animal there is insufficient insulin to switch off glucose production by the liver or to efficiently store excess glucose derived from energy giving foods. Oral hypoglycemics are tablets used in the treatment of human diabetes mellitus which can lower blood glucose in some cases. Insulin is the treatment of choice for diabetes mellitus in animals. There are prolonged duration insulin products available in Britain, most of Europe, Canada and Australia with licenses for treating dogs and cats (Caninsulin, Insuvet Lente and Insuvet PZI). Insulin products have to be treated carefully. Unfortunately, there is no standard dose for insulin which can be applied to all animals. To keep diet constant from day to day it is best to use commercially produced rather than home made diets. There are a number of different ways to stabilize a diabetic animal. After stabilization has started the veterinarian often finds it useful to create a serial blood glucose curve by repeated measurements of blood glucose regularly throughout the day.

You can get more information here:
Canine Diabetes - Mailing Lists and Newsgroups

1 - 17 of 17 Posts