Dog Food Chat banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
4,419 Posts
Exactly what were you feeding him when he was on the raw diet? What makes you think the problem is diet related? What makes you think he has a chicken allergy? Thats kind of like a cow being allergic to grass. I doubt seriously that the problem is diet related (depending on exactly what he was eating.)

·
Registered
4,419 Posts
The reason I think chicken is because his diet mostly was chicken.
You are making a lot of assumptions here. If you had been feeding him a lot of pork, you would blame that. For now, forget chicken as the dog's problem.

Wouldn't eat anything else. A little red meat from time to time but that hurt his stomach a little. We tried tripe with him and no go.
He wouldn't eat anything else because you didn't insist he did. Determining the diet is your responsibility, not his. You decide what he eats. We have ways of taking charge of our dog's diet. He definately needs more variety in his diet.

His thyroid has been checked and bloodwork done and nothing wrong. The only thing that came to was a skin scrape that the vet concluded could be from diet.
"could be" is not very convincing to me. Sounds like he couldn't find a problem and had to say something so he said, "diet".

The vet prescribed some medication which cleared up the sores but once off he then broke out again. I don't know!! I really don't want to give up raw on him but his excess of yeast overgrowth seems to not go away.
Then don't give up raw. It's not the problem. However you do have a big problem with the way you feed raw.

For the chicken he was on necks and backs.
Chicken necks and backs are not a nutritious diet for a dog the size of yours. You desperately need to check out my web page at the link in my sig. It should get you redirected into feeding your dog a better way. You are feeding WAYYYYY too much bone, not enough meat and I don't see organs mentioned at all.

Go read my site then come back and ask questions.

·
Registered
4,419 Posts
One question. When you feed pork do you feed it with the bone in it also? just wondering about the smaller bones..
The pork I generally feed is Boston Butt pork roast. The grocery store cuts it in half for me and each of my Great Danes gets half of the roast for a meal. Occasionally I will feed pork ribs (They had that tonight) but with all the bone you are feeding, I wouldn't feed that until you got more meat in his diet. I'm not real sure which small bones you are talking about unless its the small bones in the country style pork ribs. I usually cut those bones off the meat and throw them away.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.